The Sewing Place

rotary cutter

Silver Rose

Re: rotary cutter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Scissors for me too although like @HenriettaMaria I bought a rotary cutter for my short foray into patchwork but couldn't get the hang of it. Not enough practice I guess. I love my Fiskars shears which I bought when I returned to dressmaking about 10 years ago.
Still learning

realale

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 12:15:30 PM »
I use both but mainly scissors. I have several pairs and all for different jobs but I must admit I have recently started reaching for my serrated scissors more and more. They look like ordinary scissors but have a tiny serrated edge and cut beautifully.
My rotary cutter and board is always out so I use that if an application is suitable and small enough to fit on my board but mostly for dressmaking and precision work it's scissors. On my recent shirt make I think it was scissors all the way.
So many beers, so little time. 🍻

Stash sewing 2021 11m used

Morzel

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 14:09:22 PM »
Of all my  (garment) sewing friends I am the only one using rotary cutter. Most people I know have patterns with no seamallowances, so the sort of 'wing it' and add the SA while cutting out. I don't trust my skills, so I always add the 1cm SA to the pattern and cut with a RC. I did try scissors, but then I have to cut next to the pattern, extending the SA and cutting wobbly and all that. Much more precise  with RC.
Eva

sewmuchmore

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 14:21:03 PM »
@sewmuchmore   serrated edge- ie pinking shears?
@annieeg no not pinking shears, although i have those as well, these are the serrated edge.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

charlotte

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 14:34:23 PM »
Scissors here. I do have a rotary cutter and mats, but I find them a hassle to get out. I do use it occasionally. I know a rotary cutter is supposed to be better for slippery fabrics etc. but I prefer to use tracing or tissue paper as a stabiliser and still use scissors. I attempted to 'quickly' cut tulle with my rotary cutter when making my wedding dress crinoline petticoat and it was a disaster, so the rotary cutter has been in the naughty corner for a good few months!  :laughing:

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 14:41:00 PM »
Always scissors, and I am not going there, more tools in the door.
Stash extension 2021 - 10.5 meters
Left at the end of 2020 - 47.5 meters

SkoutSews

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 14:54:24 PM »
Dressmakers' scissors for me. I've always used scissors and had never heard of rotary cutters until I read about them on the old forum. They sound sharp and scary and I don't want to stain good fabric!
I don't have any reason to change as I'm content to continue with what I'm used to. It would only be more stuff to buy and store.

Surest1tch

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 15:06:20 PM »
I've tried with 2 sizes of rotary cutters and cannot get on with them at all.

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 15:11:31 PM »
Rotary cutter strictly for straight measured bits but not with a pattern piece.  Apart from that,  pins and scissors for everything.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 15:46:02 PM »
Scissors for adult clothes as I don't have a big enough cutting mat but I do use a rotary cutter - 28mm for my Angel baby stuff as I find it easier than scissors for some reason - and quicker.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

grannysyb

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 16:45:45 PM »
I had to cut lots of felt into strips once, went out and bought a rotary cutter as it was killing my hand doing the cutting with scissors.  Only used it for that though. I always use scissors for fabrics.

Diane

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 19:32:54 PM »
Depends what i'm cutting or what mood i'm in, if it's a long straight edge then i use my 43mm rotary cutter, then i cut round the notches using my scissors. I have the Fiskars razor edge shears and other numerous pairs of scissors/pinking shears, i mustn't buy anymore as i've run out of hanging space  :laughing:
“I will not buy any fabric until I use my fabric stash at home,”  and then i laughed and laughed.

Janome 4300QDC, overlocker Brother 1034d

mudcat

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 20:11:43 PM »
Obviously I'm out of touch.  :laughing:

There is a definite learning curve to using the rotary cutter.  I didn't like it at first but I've been using it for more than 20 years and actually I don't think it's all that new as the fabric store I used to go to in Portland (Mill End) sold Olfa mats and rotary cutters w/seam allowance gauge for Burda patterns even back when I was in my 20s.

As far as weights ... I use all my various rulers for weights and things do not move. Plus there's nothing to keep you from pinning.  Sometimes I do pin small pieces that the rulers are too big for.  I also nearly always cut single layer as I feel that is more accurate grain wise.  I don't cut out notches.  I snip the seam allowance.   I feel like the rotary cutter is far more accurate then scissors which lift the fabric when you cut.  I am lucky to have an enormous kitchen counter that will fit four of the 36x24 Olfa mats so space isn't an issue.

I have one of the smaller cutters (28mm) that I used with curves some years back but now that I'm experienced I don't find it problematic to use the 45mm one for all curves.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 20:13:14 PM by mudcat »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 20:12:53 PM »
Scissors for me too - the only way I can use a rotary cutter is against a ruler edge, and even then I can easily manage to run it over the ruler  :laughing:

I do have one of these cutters for cutting binding or straight edges.

Nevis5

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 20:34:02 PM »
I'm in a minority!  I use the rotary cutter almost exclusively to cut out although I have shears and snippy scissors if necessary.  I find my hands seize up if I use scissors or shears too much and being left handed, find the rotary blade much more accurate even though I have left handed versions of all my scissors.