The Sewing Place

rotary cutter

mudcat

rotary cutter
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:14:28 AM »
This is a question strictly for non-quilters.  When you cut out garment patterns do you use scissors or a rotary cutter? 

I have assumed for quite a long time that most people use a rotary cutter.  However, I had a conversation with my pattern fitting course instructor where I mentioned using the rotary cutter to cut out patterns and she responded that I was brave to use a rotary cutter.  So now I'm wondering if there are still a significant number of people who still use scissors.

annieeg

Re: rotary cutter
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:23:15 AM »
I use a rotary cutter for larger pieces and scissors for smaller pieces.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:25:22 AM »
From an ex quilter coming into the lightside I have tried to use a scissors on a number of items but the bottom part ends up bigger than the top. I love my rotary cutter. Now for tricky curves I want to get myself a smaller rotary cutter because using the big one it feels like the blade is going to brake.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Puzzler

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:31:59 AM »
I use large tailor shears for longer lengths and for smaller pieces I will use smaller scissors. I haven’t tried cutting out a pattern with a rotary cutter. My largest board is A2 so I would either need to buy a larger one or keep shifting the smaller one around the table.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 07:53:40 AM »
@mudcat Clearly I'm greedy because I use both! 

I prefer scissors for fiddly curves and a rotary cutter for the rest.  :)

I don't think it matters what you use so long as it works for you.  :thumbsup:

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:02 AM »
Same as @Puzzler - my cutting board is plenty big enough for patchwork, but not big enough for clothes.

Until recently I would also have said that my rotary cutter was nowhere near accurate enough for curved pieces, but having bought a 28mm one a week ago (for patchwork pieces with tight curves) I no longer feel that way!  I've never had any problems with scissors on normal fabrics, but I am about to make a camisole from something slithery, so, as the pieces are small, I might use my new rotary cutter for that.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:48 AM »
I have a rotary cutter but only tried it once.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 09:02:04 AM »
I’m old school and use scissors, have done for decades...only use rotary cutter and ruler for cutting bindings for the coverstitch machine. I think rotary cutters for dressmaking are a relatively new fangled thing.

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:37:15 AM »
I use scissors only too. I bought a rotary cutter (it was on a promotion in Jo Ann fabrics when we were in Florida one time) and it just didn't cut and I got more uneven edges than I had ever had with scissors. I don't feel inclined to try another cutter either.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:51:00 AM »
Dressmaking shears are what I'm used to and I like them. Big enough cutting board would be a problem for me. I do, however, use a rotary cutter for straight pieces like apron ties. Tbh can't be bothered ti learn rotary cutting round fiddly stuff!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:01 AM »
Scissors all the way, i seem to have a different pair for all occasions: shears for heavy upholstery, large blade for big pieces, bent handle for precision and @Acorn serrated edge for fine/slippy fabrics.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »
Another old school sewist here who learned to sew using scissors and shears.

I use a rotary cutter for patchwork and for cutting any long strips of binding etc but my reasons for using scissors include:

1, I don't have a big enough cutting surface - my 35" x 23" mat is nowhere big enough to cut out garment size pieces. 

2, Cutting part of a piece, moving the mat and then cutting the rest would likely result in inaccurate cutting.  It would also interfere with laying out the pieces especially when tight with fabric, especially if the pattern pieces are not pinned down.

3, For me freehand rotary cutting is not accurate.  In last week's GBSB did you notice how one of the contestants sliced off a quarter of an inch of paper pattern, so presumably a quarter of an inch from the fabric, when cutting a pocket?

4, People who use rotary cutters tend to use weights and not pins.  How do they prevent the pattern from moving around?

5, Cutting proper outwards notches is very difficult, even with a small diameter rotary cutter.  Two reasons why I was taught to cut notches outwards, as I always do.  Snipping inwards effectively removes the seam allowance so you have no wriggle room if the garment is a bit tight and needs letting out a little.  Also the tiny inwards notches are easy to loose if the fabric frays.  Remember the last series of GBSB where a couple of them had two left sleeves!  That was all down to cutting inwards notches and loosing them.  Sometimes my outwards notches are extra large but I don't loose them, and they get trimmed off when the seam is neatened anyway.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:01:19 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:36 AM »
Scissors all the way, i seem to have a different pair for all occasions: shears for heavy upholstery, large blade for big pieces, bent handle for precision and @Acorn serrated edge for fine/slippy fabrics.
@sewmuchmore   serrated edge- ie pinking shears?

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
Shears for me.  I bought a cheapo (Janome-branded) rotary cutter at an Ally Pally K&S show but didn't get on with it - I tried to use it for my one foray into patchwork but wasn't comfortable and went back to my trusty Fiskars.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
@sewmuchmore   serrated edge- ie pinking shears?

I think she meant scissors with micro serrations like those made by Karen Kay Buckley
https://www.karenkaybuckley.com/store.php?cat=5

Available in UK from Amazon etc.  Lovely scissors.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.