The Sewing Place

rotary cutter

Silver Rose

Re: rotary cutter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Scissors for me too although like @HenriettaMaria I bought a rotary cutter for my short foray into patchwork but couldn't get the hang of it. Not enough practice I guess. I love my Fiskars shears which I bought when I returned to dressmaking about 10 years ago.
Still learning

realale

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 12:15:30 PM »
I use both but mainly scissors. I have several pairs and all for different jobs but I must admit I have recently started reaching for my serrated scissors more and more. They look like ordinary scissors but have a tiny serrated edge and cut beautifully.
My rotary cutter and board is always out so I use that if an application is suitable and small enough to fit on my board but mostly for dressmaking and precision work it's scissors. On my recent shirt make I think it was scissors all the way.
So many beers, so little time.

Morzel

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 14:09:22 PM »
Of all my  (garment) sewing friends I am the only one using rotary cutter. Most people I know have patterns with no seamallowances, so the sort of 'wing it' and add the SA while cutting out. I don't trust my skills, so I always add the 1cm SA to the pattern and cut with a RC. I did try scissors, but then I have to cut next to the pattern, extending the SA and cutting wobbly and all that. Much more precise  with RC.
Eva

sewmuchmore

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 14:21:03 PM »
@sewmuchmore   serrated edge- ie pinking shears?
@annieeg no not pinking shears, although i have those as well, these are the serrated edge.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

charlotte

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 14:34:23 PM »
Scissors here. I do have a rotary cutter and mats, but I find them a hassle to get out. I do use it occasionally. I know a rotary cutter is supposed to be better for slippery fabrics etc. but I prefer to use tracing or tissue paper as a stabiliser and still use scissors. I attempted to 'quickly' cut tulle with my rotary cutter when making my wedding dress crinoline petticoat and it was a disaster, so the rotary cutter has been in the naughty corner for a good few months!  :laughing:

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 14:41:00 PM »
Always scissors, and I am not going there, more tools in the door.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 14:54:24 PM »
Dressmakers' scissors for me. I've always used scissors and had never heard of rotary cutters until I read about them on the old forum. They sound sharp and scary and I don't want to stain good fabric!
I don't have any reason to change as I'm content to continue with what I'm used to. It would only be more stuff to buy and store.

Surest1tch

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 15:06:20 PM »
I've tried with 2 sizes of rotary cutters and cannot get on with them at all.

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 15:11:31 PM »
Rotary cutter strictly for straight measured bits but not with a pattern piece.  Apart from that,  pins and scissors for everything.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 15:46:02 PM »
Scissors for adult clothes as I don't have a big enough cutting mat but I do use a rotary cutter - 28mm for my Angel baby stuff as I find it easier than scissors for some reason - and quicker.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

grannysyb

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 16:45:45 PM »
I had to cut lots of felt into strips once, went out and bought a rotary cutter as it was killing my hand doing the cutting with scissors.  Only used it for that though. I always use scissors for fabrics.

Diane

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 19:32:54 PM »
Depends what i'm cutting or what mood i'm in, if it's a long straight edge then i use my 43mm rotary cutter, then i cut round the notches using my scissors. I have the Fiskars razor edge shears and other numerous pairs of scissors/pinking shears, i mustn't buy anymore as i've run out of hanging space  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

mudcat

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 20:11:43 PM »
Obviously I'm out of touch.  :laughing:

There is a definite learning curve to using the rotary cutter.  I didn't like it at first but I've been using it for more than 20 years and actually I don't think it's all that new as the fabric store I used to go to in Portland (Mill End) sold Olfa mats and rotary cutters w/seam allowance gauge for Burda patterns even back when I was in my 20s.

As far as weights ... I use all my various rulers for weights and things do not move. Plus there's nothing to keep you from pinning.  Sometimes I do pin small pieces that the rulers are too big for.  I also nearly always cut single layer as I feel that is more accurate grain wise.  I don't cut out notches.  I snip the seam allowance.   I feel like the rotary cutter is far more accurate then scissors which lift the fabric when you cut.  I am lucky to have an enormous kitchen counter that will fit four of the 36x24 Olfa mats so space isn't an issue.

I have one of the smaller cutters (28mm) that I used with curves some years back but now that I'm experienced I don't find it problematic to use the 45mm one for all curves.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 20:13:14 PM by mudcat »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 20:12:53 PM »
Scissors for me too - the only way I can use a rotary cutter is against a ruler edge, and even then I can easily manage to run it over the ruler  :laughing:

I do have one of these cutters for cutting binding or straight edges.

Nevis5

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 20:34:02 PM »
I'm in a minority!  I use the rotary cutter almost exclusively to cut out although I have shears and snippy scissors if necessary.  I find my hands seize up if I use scissors or shears too much and being left handed, find the rotary blade much more accurate even though I have left handed versions of all my scissors.