The Sewing Place

Husqvarna Viking Free Arm zig zag rotary

Elnnina

Re: Husqvarna Viking Free Arm zig zag rotary
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 15:27:38 PM »
annieg it is good that the feed dogs are now up in place.  Now with regards to the stitch length etc. I have just been looking at your photo of the machine, and over on the right you have two places that are obvious to alter for something, which is which I do not know, but how about resetting them to 0 or to 1 and see what happens.  Then you have another smaller dial or something quite close to the other two, and I presume these are for some sort of zigzag, again try resetting that back to 0 or to 1 and again see if there is any difference.

If the machine had previously been set for darning, the whole purpose of this mode is that you have your fabric in a hoop, lower the feed dogs and then you do the moving of the hoop to create the darn, thus the machine probably does just stitch in one place only and to get the coverage of a darn it is down to you to move the hoop.  So just maybe the last time the machine was used was for darning and that is why the needle is just going up and down in the same place.

You have nothing to lose so try and see what moving the various switches do - don't interfere with the tension disc which is over on the left, leave that one well alone for the time being.

I had borrowed a machine last summer and my friend hadn't used this for months on end, but it had obviously been lent to someone else and the state it came to me in was disgusting, it was dirty, it had been set for some automatic patterning, a very thick needle had been left in place, and various other settings had been altered.  Why when a machine has been used for something rather than straight stitching, is it not put back to neutral as it were ready for use.  As it is my friend is not wanting her machine back at the moment, and it just happens to be an identical one to my own Elna SU - all she has left over at her house are the instruction books.  However as I know my friend rather well, it is just as well it was me who discovered the state of her machine - she would have got in a panic and not know why it wasn't working as she expected it to work.  Oh yes the part of the wheel you loosen in order to wind a bobbin was jammed so tight in the end we had to force this by using a tall anchor embroidery wooden reel put under the needle retaining screw so that pressure could be used to free the inner wheel without the needle going up or down.

So please do not lose hope yet with this machine - it might just be something so simple only you do not know yet what it is stopping this from stitching.

annieeg

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 16:07:31 PM »
@Elnnina   Thank you for your very helpful reply - I have tried all variations of the zigzag and straight stitch options, but without success so far.
Thank you for your support  :flower:

Elnnina

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 16:11:31 PM »
Annieg do you have a good and friendly repair man near you?  Maybe try asking him if there is one nearby and see whether it is worth having a look at.  As this is a mechanical machine rather than an electronic it should be fixable.

Esme866

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 06:31:40 AM »
@annieeg

I have no experience with Husqvana Viking, but EVERYTHING you are describing could be attributed to the works inside of the column desperately needing grease.

Owners manuals only address oiling a machine, they assume trained techs will do any additional maintenance. If everything on the inside of the column is metal, if you have access to Triflow grease it would be able to help break down any existing old, gelled, grease, relubricate and it has PTFE, a microscopic teflon type product to reduce friction on pieces. Otherwise it may have lithium grease, which I have heard can harden, it's a ple gray whitish color. Just make sure there are not plastic or nylon gears on the inside (it looks like it will be all metal) but keep in mind if there are plastic or nylon gears in contact with metal you will need a different grease.

As you apply small amounts of grease, just keeping turning any knobs or levers that adjust stitch length and width, until everything is moving smoothly.

I did my own when it completely froze up. Just took some time, but saved me $85 - $120.

annieeg

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »
@Esme866    thank you for your suggestion.
I'm going to take It to a  sewing machine technician when I have some time as he lives about an hour's drive from me. 
Thanks again  to everyone who has given me feedback on this thread.

Helen M

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »
Have you tried phoning a sewing machine technician and explaining what is going on? They may be able to advise.

I was thinking of Bambers in Eccles who are reasonably close to me. A few years ago I asked about changing cutting blades on my 1989 Brother 730D overlocker. I already had bought the correct blades. They talked me through it and offered to do it if I got into trouble. I didn't but, they have been in business for a long time so may have good knowledge of older machines and maybe could help you.

Just a thought........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

StitchinTime

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
You mention that the feed dogs are now up, but have you removed the needle plate and cleaned around them? I read of one machine (it may even have been a machine on here) that had so much compacted lint around the feed dogs that it was preventing them moving backwards and forwards.

Addiscomber

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2021, 17:15:23 PM »
There is an email group for Pre 1980 Viking Husqvarnas here https://groups.io/g/vikingsewingmachinespre1980 
It is moderated by an ex US dealer (also moderates the Vintage Singer group there). The rules about messages are very strict - you have to cut all irrelevant stuff from previous messages in the thread and be very 'on topic' - and you get told off if you transgress. I can understand that he is busy trying to help a lot of people but I find it a bit off putting so I tend to only read the messages. If you don't fancy signing up yourself I could search for posts on your problem if you tell me exactly which model you have.

I'm sure that the machine is worth the effort. I would have loved to get a vintage Viking but have to admit to having too many machines, especially now that I cannot get up the stairs to my hidey hole in the box room.

I have always found World of Sewing at Tunbridge Wells to be helpful with questions about feet etc for my vintage Swiss Elnas. Perhaps it would be worth giving them a call if you are not too far away? Sadly they have closed their Croydon shop, and moved their Bromley branch way out of town, but they helped me over the 'phone.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2022, 12:55:31 PM »
Resurrecting this old thread as I've just bought one of these machines for £87, thinking it will be good for sewing bags as there isn't a lot of machine to the left of the needle, so easier to get "inside" bags.

Did you get yours working @annieeg ?  The one I've bought says it's in great working order and tested, and hardly used, so fingers crossed here.

annieeg

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2022, 13:09:38 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper
I ended up selling that machine for spares and repair on FB.  I was then GIFTED a HQ Viking 21 by a dear friend which had been her mother's.  That works brilliantly (I used it to make  some bags at Xmas but I wish I had a Teflon foot for it to sew oilcloth.).
Enjoy your machine  :thumb: