The Sewing Place

Block of the Month - June - Kimono

wrenkins

Re: Block of the Month - June
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
 :D   :D   :D   0_0
First belly laughs of the day.
I love the planning process so now the "thing" is...mmmm....how do we get around this slight setback.
There're always geese!
To celebrate successful completion I suggest we could have a thing thong!  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

maliw

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
Don't beat yourself up Iminei, the BOM weren't meant to form anything, they were/are tutorials to get us to try different blocks - with VERY good results (not mine). I chose to use the same fabrics because that is what I found at the start. I put them together - on the floor to see what they looked like and took the photo. It's a great big THANK YOU from me because without what you have done I would probably still be doing easy stuff. Whether I put them into a quilt at the end remains to be seen.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

maliw

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »

and next months BOM (well the one I have been thinking of) will, I'm afraid, carry on the theme!
Good.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Deafoldbat

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 19:00:46 PM »
Most BOM'ers achieve a uniform size of block so you can construct them into something usable at the end of the year.

Well. I did wonder if you'd considered that aspect round about February...but there's absolutely no reason why you can't have different sized blocks. Next year's challenge for you all, should you accept it, is to find a way to set them together, or turn them into underwear/footwear (depending on hemisphere you will understand thongs differently!) :)

Lilian

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 19:56:54 PM »
:D   :D   :D   0_0
First belly laughs of the day.
I love the planning process so now the "thing" is...mmmm....how do we get around this slight setback.
There're always geese!
To celebrate successful completion I suggest we could have a thing thong!  :toast:

That gave me a belly laugh!!  :D :D :D
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
Well. I did wonder if you'd considered that aspect round about February.

I considered nothing! I didn't even know whether anyone would take up the challenge, It really was an exercise to keep me doing something every month and not suppurating into catatonia ... Sorry!

And thinking about, Is that the end of the month looming up in my rear view mirror...Oh Dear!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 19:04:06 PM »
I considered nothing! ... Sorry!

Remember: 'Never apologise, never explain'. (Well not often, and not in this case :D)

Sandra

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 20:48:58 PM »
It doesn't matter to me about the sizes of the blocks.

I've been thoroughly enjoying myself taking part.

When TSF vanished, one of the main things that bothered me was that I'd not be able to do the BOM. I'd been looking forward to trying to keep up with it every month.

Sandra.
xxx

Lilian

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 22:46:59 PM »
It doesn't matter to me either, I am enjoying the challenge and learning curve  8).  I didn't give a thought to making them all to match together, they will be used in some way with other things.

Thanks Imi, for doing these, I am grateful for the lessons  :)
Willing but not always able :)

rubywishes

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 13:39:47 PM »
I've just caught up with this.....I've been m.i.a. with the BOM but Im you must never think your mahoosive, substantial efforts and contributions are anything but fabulous and delightful. I for one could never keep up your pace of contribution, imagination and encouragement that you mete out time and time again. It doesn't matter one zot if the blocks aren't the same size...that in itself sets a new challenge for the participants along with the fun of trying new techniques and possibly using them again in other projects.  :flower:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Syrinx

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 18:58:54 PM »
I wouldn't worry Imi. BOMs are all about trying new blocks and seeing what you like. You van make multiple of the same, or different fabric variations after you have tried them out. Fitting them all into a quilt is possible, just needs some thought - so repeat a row of the smaller ones, use some sashing to split up areas of similar design etc. Or make table runners, cushions, make lots of quilts out of blocks tested out in a BOM.

BOMs have always been a nice non committed way of trying new designs to see if it suits you. Not a way to get to a sampler quilt. Nothing against sampler quilts, but generally they have recurring fabrics and the blocks are all in a similar style - so a sampler of traditional blocks, of HST blocks, of Amish block, modern blocks, wholecloth pattern blocks, etc etc.
Thes BOM is not to create a sampler or a non sampler quilt, but to allow people to test out their skills on new ideas and on blocks they might never attempt!

If you would like some help on the contribution side I'd be happy to oblige. I've a tonne of inherited books I haven't yet done things from and have no real reason other than a sampler quilt and I never put it at the top. So contributing a block for people every so often would be great. I'd be happy to tackle some complicated ones that you don't like as well! And I need something to push me to make my cathedral mini quilt!

It's a lovely thing you've started. I haven't joined in because I can't find my fabric hamper and I'm eyeball deep in riding habit!

Syrinx

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
Found it!

I knew it was in one of my books. This is how you manage blocks of different sizes :) it's from one of the many blocks and samplers books I inherited. Shows what can be done with different sizes :)

fajita

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 20:58:08 PM »
Nice and easy. Just what I needed today.

Sandra

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 21:48:54 PM »
You've been busy catching up.

That's lovely, Fajita.

Sandra.
xxx

Pearl

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 07:43:15 AM »
Lovely job, Fajita.  Glad to hear that this one is easier.  I need to do this one.