The Sewing Place

Sewing cabinets/cutting -Horn and others

Gernella

Sewing cabinets/cutting -Horn and others
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
Lovely as they are they are too heavy for what I want, but I have never seen so many for sale at the same time, particularly on FB, there must be about six or seven.  I even saw one 20 miles from me and despite the fact that it would be lovely to have, lots of kg too much to heave up the stairs.

Bargains for some though.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Flobear

Re: Sewing cabinets/cutting -Horn and others
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 12:17:22 PM »
Interesting point @Gernella  Having moved to a house with a sewing room, I had my eye on such a cabinet but if they are large and heavy there's no point as our stairs are narrower than I think they should be and have a turny bit at the bottom. Hmmm  :thinking:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:49:08 PM »
I'm going to have to get mine up the stairs (which weren't there when I bought it).  I will probably take off all the hinged flaps and refit them when it's up there.  I've also got a Horn cutting table.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »
I nearly got swayed with one of them @Flobear it was on Preloved and I asked how much it weighed, I think it was around £200.  She said she didn't actually know but it took her son and grandson to get it upstairs.  Then I was looking at an American website and one they  had for sale, not Horn but similar, was around 170kg.  That needs space and muscle if going upstairs. Our stairs is 6 stairs and a small landing then a turn and  probably 8 more.

Lovely if you work downstairs but just a pipe dream for me.  The Horn Easy Cut is much more suitable for me.  It can be built upstairs.  Getting it downstairs at a push it could be slid down folded upside down, I think there is enough room on the landing to turn, if not, probably not going to be my problem, although I suppose it could be deconstructed first.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 14:50:54 PM »

Flobear and Ploshkin regarding getting a Horn cabinet up or down stairs, Horn’s recommendation to me when I was helping an elderly friend, was if it has a pull out section to one side, to pull this right out and deal with that bit separately.  Of course take everything out of the drawers and remove these as well, and yes I would also take the doors off as these could easily get damaged in moving the cabinet.    Hope this helps.

Ploshkin I too have a Horn cutting out table, and found that my husband had been a bit heavy handed in forcing the extending flap down and thus buckled one of the hinges so much so it was very noticeable and therefore made the top uneven.  Horn were a great help and sent me a new hinge which was easy enough to fit, so the flaps can come off, and that will reduce a lot of the weight.  Incidentally I bought my table second hand, and when we arrived to collect it found it was on the top floor of some flats – why hadn’t they mentioned this before!  Anyway with a bit of ingenuity a wheeled barrow (like a porter’s barrow) was used and padded out with garden chair  cushions to protect the table and then some of those bungee rope thingys that were put around everything to hold in in place, and then two men carefully sort of bounced it down the numerous flights of stairs – luckily no damage was done.

Now when my cabinet was delivered new straight from Horn themselves, there was just one man doing the delivery, and oh couldn’t he manipulate this unwieldy item.  Firstly he had to remove all the packaging (cardboard), and then had to turn the cabinet totally over so that he could put the wheels on, then of course turn it over again, and he made it look so easy – well he was so used to doing this.  So knowing he can do this, I now understand why they say delivery upstairs is not always possible and is up to the driver.

I wish you both lots of luck getting your cabinets/table up the stairs and into your new sewing rooms.  Flobear, if you can get hold of a Horn catalogue it will give all the necessary measurements for each cabinet – that might help you, or alternatively measure accurately the awkwardness of your stairs and then speak to Horn themselves, the boss David is very helpful, in fact it is his family’s business, and I believe I had my cabinet delivered by his son Jason – who again is very helpful.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 17:31:26 PM »
@Elnnina I've shot myself in the foot a bit.  Because I didn't want any carpets in the house I've got a lovely ash staircase.  I will be more concerned about damaging the stairs than the cabinet.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »
Your staircase sounds rather nice Ploshkin, and I don't blame you for not wanting to damage this.  However how about wrapping the table up in plenty of bubble wrap - well in fact use bubble wrap on anything large that you are going to take upstairs and hopefully the staircase will not get damaged.  I do hope that you can get everything you want up the stairs.

Kad

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
@Elnnina I've shot myself in the foot a bit.  Because I didn't want any carpets in the house I've got a lovely ash staircase.  I will be more concerned about damaging the stairs than the cabinet.

Our staircase is a lovely white oak one, that we managed to find a sealant for that didn't turn it an unattractive yellow  like varnish would have done.  The saving grace of a natural wood  staircase is that it can be rescued by a judicious light standing if not too heavily  marked. We used to treat it with kid gloves when first installed,  but it's proved to be tougher than it looks.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

realale

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »
I have my Horn cabinet up in my converted attic so two lots of stairs. Admittedly it's only one of the small ones (the cabinet, not the attic!!) and as it only cost me £10 at auction complete with sewing machine and sewing box of thread, needles, scissors etc I wasn't too fussed about damaging it. My husband and son carried it upstairs but they are used to carrying firks and kilderkins full of beer so it was lightweight for them!! I stayed out of the way so can't comment on any difficulties faced negotiating the bends in the staircases  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 15:33:43 PM »
Everything is lightweight when you are young @realale  From a machine point of view I always found them easy to carry up (still in the original box) but after a flurry of changes I have found that the box had to be brought down empty and the machine and bits had to follow separately.

I'm still scratching my head on "firks and kilderkins"

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 00:30:32 AM »
I guessed that a firk is a firkin = 1/4 barrel or 9 gallons.  Mr Google tells me that a kilderkin is half a barrel, so 18 gallons.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 06:45:07 AM »
I guessed that a firk is a firkin = 1/4 barrel or 9 gallons.  Mr Google tells me that a kilderkin is half a barrel, so 18 gallons.
Correct @BrendaP.  :thumbsup:
I forget lots of people aren't as conversant with pub/brewery terms as I am. Apologies. :|
So many beers, so little time.