The Sewing Place

warp & weft when piecing fabric?

Lilian

warp & weft when piecing fabric?
« on: May 04, 2021, 15:25:55 PM »
This is something I have been thinking about.   Is there a right way to put pieces together taking into account the warp and weft.  Assuming there is no pattern direction; do you place them the same way or switch warp onto weft for piecing?
Willing but not always able :)

Efemera

Re: warp & weft when piecing fabric?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 15:26:55 PM »
No...just stitch them together...there’s no quilting police.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 15:39:39 PM »
Thanks @Efemera I am thinking more about accuracy.  The weft is a bit stretchy and can stretch out more when pressing.  I thought about putting warp against weft to help stop the stretching?

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 15:54:38 PM »
I’ve made dozens of quilts and not found it makes any difference... the Delilah quilt I made has the grain going in every direction you could think of.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 16:20:03 PM »
I remember seeing that when you first posted it, it is lovely.  Thank you, I will continue to piece any which way  :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 17:23:50 PM »
Sometimes you can take advantage of the difference.  If I do log cabin I try, as far as possible, to cut the logs from length of fabric as the stability helps the block to stay nice and square.
When I made my convergerce quilt (my first TSP project linus quilt)  I cut the strips length of fabric so that they would join without bowing then having cut them up to join the other way the stretch was very useful in helping to match up the dozens of seams accurately.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 17:43:35 PM »
Never thought about it. I know nothing of warp, weft or grain
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 18:37:22 PM »
Sometimes you can take advantage of the difference.  If I do log cabin I try, as far as possible, to cut the logs from length of fabric as the stability helps the block to stay nice and square.
When I made my convergerce quilt (my first TSP project linus quilt)  I cut the strips length of fabric so that they would join without bowing then having cut them up to join the other way the stretch was very useful in helping to match up the dozens of seams accurately.

Thanks @Ploshkin I have done that too.  It can be useful  :vintage:

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 00:01:29 AM »
Most times it doesn't matter, overall it will be a random mix going in both directions.  Once you get into cutting triangles you will have bias edges and you also might get some pieces at 45° to the others.

The lengthways warp direction is usually a bit more stable and I try to use it for borders and bindings, but economy of use often dictates using the widthways weft direction.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 05:40:04 AM »
Is there a right way to put pieces together taking into account the warp and weft.  Assuming there is no pattern direction; do you place them the same way or switch warp onto weft for piecing?

Huh ?????  :S

No...just stitch them together...there’s no quilting police.

Errrrmmm , Yes there are, Acorns got then locked in her shed and the nettles are growing nicely now!!

I think we need a lil context here ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Voila, Ploshies convergence quilt.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:42:48 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 13:11:57 PM »
Loving Plushie's Convergence quilt!

Just a bit of random uselessness: to remember the difference between warp and weft - weft goes across from Weft to Right.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !