The Sewing Place

Butterick summer patterns

Tamnymore

Butterick summer patterns
« on: May 05, 2021, 17:52:27 PM »
Paging @UttaRetch:D
Find them here

I'm afraid they look pretty dull to me. No Katherine Tilton offering. I'll be waiting to see what Vogue has to offer for the summer.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

Re: Butterick summer patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 18:06:42 PM »
I looked.  :scream:

I don't know that I'll ever buy another pattern.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 18:24:39 PM »
Hmmm.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 18:55:41 PM »
Look on the bright side at how much we'll all save on patterns :boohoo:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 19:03:00 PM »
Alas, that doesn't seem to work @BrendaP ! I'll just indulge in more expensive Vogue patterns.   :laughing:

realale

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:19:49 AM »
There's a big discussion on this on patternreview as apparently several of those patterns aren't 'new' but reissues of Palmer Pletch patterns from McCalls. McCalls are going for a younger demograph and so are shifting some patterns over to Butterick.
So many beers, so little time.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 07:40:46 AM »
@Tamnymore: I followed the discussion on PR about these patterns and didn't bother to post them here since 14 out of the 19 "new" patterns are old McCall's. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »
Yes I saw some posts on McCall's FB site about the 'old' patterns in the Butterick summer release. Wouldn't have thought they would win over many customers with such an approach!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:31 AM »
"Old" McCalls from the sixites?  A lot of them look like things my mother would have worn back then, so I won't be buying them.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »
If McCalls/Butterick were more explicit about what they were trying to do they would be much more effective in bringing their pattern buying customers along with them rather than p*ss*ng them off with what looks like a deliberately sneaky move. I've read the discussion on pattern review now and there are certainly some clever pattern sleuths there. And I've realised I have one of those patterns when it was McCalls.

It does make some sense to focus ranges on different demographics but I would have thought that alongside younger women who perhaps don't have kids (yet) although likely to be working, quite a few of their customers are older with more time to sew and sometimes more disposable income so they can surely keep us all happy!

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »
There's a big discussion on this on patternreview as apparently several of those patterns aren't 'new' but reissues of Palmer Pletch patterns from McCalls. McCalls are going for a younger demograph and so are shifting some patterns over to Butterick.

Thank you @realale I was looking at B6850, which I have and did think to myself, I could have sworn that was a Palmer Pleitch.  I quite fancied it but then decided I didn't like the neck it would have to change and maybe it might make my hips look big.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
I immediately recognised three patterns that were formerly McCalls, in particular

from which I made two things.  It is now

The McCall's went to the charity along with a lot of other patterns.

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 18:09:33 PM »
A bit boring, well a lot boring really, I do quite like the beige trousers though but I've got a slightly better one from vogue which is probably why I like it but it's years old  :|

whofilets

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 02:37:24 AM »
Oh YAWN. when I saw these i thought they seemed like good everyday core patterns and clothes but what sets them apart? Now I read they are just reissues of other patterns... No wonder.
Also some of the tops look so shapeless. It's not that I don't like wearing drapery loose tops but... Just don't know what I'd really be paying for.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me