The Sewing Place

A Boom

RJR_38

A Boom
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:55:38 AM »
I'm on an American quilting board and they do these swaps called Booms (I'm guessing like Boomerangs). I've 'watched' 6 or 7 now and they look like good fun so didn't know if people on here would be interested. I'll list the 'rules' - I would be happy to host and organise (admin permission allowing).

For ease of explaining we will imagine there are 10 people taking part.

It takes place over 2-3 months.

Each person sends me 10 fat eighths of a fabric of their choice (plus a SAE for return). I then mix them all up and you get back a fat eighth from everyone else.

You then have a couple of months to make a block for each person - any block and technique you like (variety is key! It could be traditional piecing, FPP, applique etc) Using their fat eighth and any fabric from your stash. They may have given additional instructions eg please make the background light. We all post pics and everyone can see the blocks people are making for them- lots of excitement...

People post the finished blocks back to me (and SAE) and then I allocate them back out so everyone gets back 10 blocks made with their feature fabric to make into a quilt etc

What do you think? It is a good opportunity to try new patterns, use up scraps (as you only need to make one block) and it does look like good fun.

Happy if consensus is no

Efemera

Re: A Boom
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:24:11 AM »
I understood until “ you only have to make one block”....don’t you have to make 10? :thinking:
I’m up early so may not have grasped the concept.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:05:54 AM »
I'm not sure about the number of blocks either #confusedofnorfolk
I'd like to join in though if / when I finally understand the rules :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 14:33:18 PM »
I think it means sending 10 fat eighths (all the same). 
Receiving 9 different fat eighths back, each labelled with the original sender's name (and any specific request).
Making 9 blocks, each one to include the fabric from an original (and label the block with his/her name).
Send them all back to the organiser
Organiser will make 10 blocks with remaining fat eighth from each person.
Organiser will send 9 blocks out to each person.
If they have all been labelled correctly each one will include some of the original fabric so as to give a co-ordinated look to the quilt subsequently made the blocks.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 14:44:58 PM »
I'm getting more confused by the minute...... :|

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 16:50:44 PM »
Ah..the light dawns.... “you only have to make one block”
......you will make 9 blocks but will only need scraps as every block will be different so only need enough scraps of the same fabric for one block.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 17:00:37 PM »
 :S >:) :headbang: :facepalm:  confused.com
Sorry @RJR_38  as the saying goes..... " it's not you, it's me " :| In my defence....I am old  :|

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 17:56:11 PM »
Sorry everyone I dropped the confusing bomb shell and then went to work for the day  -<

Brenda P has it exactly right. My explanation was obviously not clear! Yes each person will make 9 or 10 blocks but each block will be completely different and use different colours etc so ideal to use up bits.

Eg BrendaP may send pink fat eighth and I use up some cream to go with it and I make a churn dash. Lowena may send blue floral and I use a navy I have with it and make an applique block etc.

At the end, Lowena would get all her blue floral blocks back but each block would be made by a different person, look completely different and the only thing tying them together would be her blue floral fabric.

Does that make more sense or have I confused you all more?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 18:56:26 PM by RJR_38 »

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 18:14:53 PM »
Ah, that makes perfect sense now thank you @RJR_38
I'd be glad to join in

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 19:10:44 PM »
A couple of thoughts or three.

*This takes 1 ¼ yard of your chosen fabric. Start with 2 yards or even 2 ½ so you have more to tie it together as sashing, borders or binding plus some to make additional or substitute blocks. ***This is of course assuming 10 people participating. Adjust as needed.

*State a finished block size if that matters to you.  ;)

*When I've seen this done each person made the same block for the others. They each decide what to make but then made all 10 the same block. I might do all Drunkards Path, Imi does Churn Dash, Plosh does a Star, etc. Just a thought, especially if you're pressed for time in your life.

Odds are better with this crowd but I've never seen everyone finish. That's part of suggesting having extra fabric so you can expand on what you do get.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 19:12:22 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

RJR_38

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 19:18:36 PM »
Thanks Renegade - yes block size would definitely need to be agreed beforehand. In the ones I've seen, some people choose to do the same block for all fabrics (for time efficiency) but most choose to mix it up for interests sake - people can choose.

I'll leave it for a few days to see how much interest there is and then decide

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 19:44:18 PM »
What would the time frame be?  I'd love to join in but would not be able to commit the time at the moment. 

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 20:02:55 PM »
I’d give it a go....

fajita

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 20:31:12 PM »
I’ll be in.

RJR_38

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 20:32:19 PM »
What would the time frame be?  I'd love to join in but would not be able to commit the time at the moment.

Not thought that far ahead yet Pearl as I didn't even know if people would be interested. Once we decide to start we would give people at least 2 months to make blocks...