The Sewing Place

A Boom

Pearl

Re: A Boom
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 20:46:29 PM »
Not thought that far ahead yet Pearl as I didn't even know if people would be interested. Once we decide to start we would give people at least 2 months to make blocks...

In that case, I'm in.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 16:10:11 PM »
I'm interested.  It's a variation of a friendship quilt, providing a starter fabric will help make everything work together.

Some years ago - can't remember if it was with TSP or with its predecessor summer 2015 with TSP - I did a block exchange and ended up making a nice lap quilt.

It would probably need somewhere between 8-12 people taking part to each get a decent number of blocks to work with.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 20:22:34 PM »
I'm in too.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 22:58:44 PM »
It would probably need somewhere between 8-12 people taking part to each get a decent number of blocks to work with.

@BrendaP that's why I suggested having extra of whatever fabric you send out. Sometimes you get a clunker. You ask for light colors and someone decides it would be better with black.  ><. Or you need a few more blocks for a better "story".

Or the mail winds up on a cargo ship in the Suez Canal. I understand the UK is experiencing a shortage of Garden Gnomes this Spring for that very reason. Can't be too careful.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sandra

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 06:10:49 AM »
I love the idea of this but I feel too busy and overwhelmed with my workload at the moment so I don't feel I can join in.

Hope it happens.  :)
It's going to be fun to stand on the side-lines and see all of your work.

Sandra.
xxx

RJR_38

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 06:45:02 AM »

Or the mail winds up on a cargo ship in the Suez Canal. I understand the UK is experiencing a shortage of Garden Gnomes this Spring for that very reason. Can't be too careful.

:laughing: you make me laugh @Renegade Sewist

There are 6 of us interested at the moment. I think we need at least 8 to make it worthwhile and ideally 10 so we need to persuade a few more people....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:47:10 AM by RJR_38 »

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
@RJR_38    If there is no further interest another option would be to make two blocks for each person - and maybe specify both the same or both different.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »
@BrendaP that's why I suggested having extra of whatever fabric you send out. Sometimes you get a clunker. You ask for light colors and someone decides it would be better with black.  ><. Or you need a few more blocks for a better "story".

I agree, but also having some extra fabric will help pull them all together - sashing, cornerstones, setting triangles, border, binding or wherever it fits into your design.

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »
I'll sit back and wait until the format is decided by you clever people who know of what you are talking, but I'll  happily give it a go .

RJR_38

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 20:08:55 PM »
@RJR_38    If there is no further interest another option would be to make two blocks for each person - and maybe specify both the same or both different.

Yes, I wondered this. @Iminei is this your cup of tea?

whofilets

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 00:36:51 AM »
I'd be in! My patchwork skills aren't very advanced but i'd love the challenge to improve them.

I was in a quilt block exchange group once but every one got a yard of fabric and you made 12 of the same block for the other twelve quilters :O yes, I got a lot better at piecing, but it was exhausting tbh. Plus I ended up with so many sets featuring a fabric I didn't pick- ended up giving those to a quilt group that made quilts for hospice care. They loved them, I loved passing them on!

Sewing just one block per fat quarter sounds MUCH more manageable.
The minimum block size could be decided by the fabric buyer? 12.5 inch Square is a common size. Or  6.5 inch blocks, but you make 2-4 of them.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

RJR_38

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 22:12:56 PM »
Be good to have you on board @whofilets

I've looked on the other forum and a 12.5 inch block is what they go for and there are a lot of block options with then. I think if we give people the choice of block size there is a higher possibility of mistakes being made so probably best to stick to the same size I would have thought

whofilets

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 23:37:03 PM »
@RJR_38 I agree- having the same size throughout will be less confusing too, won't have to keep track of which fat eights need which size.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

RJR_38

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 07:20:40 AM »
OK, so I think we can probably have at least 8 people so shall we go for it? We can do it so that everyone will do 10 blocks (you may end up with 2 from one person) and that will be a good start

Start looking for your main fabric - don't forget you will need at least 1.25m of it. You could, if you wanted have 2 fabrics (5 in one, 5 in another) - that is up to you.

I am going to speak to the admins about finding a way to reduce the 'photo footprint' as I think a big part of this will be everyone sharing their photos as they make them but I am aware of storage limitations!

@Acorn @Iminei who would be best to talk to about this?

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »
OK, so I'm looking for fabric that I like, right?  Forgive me because I'm a bear of little brain and easily confused. :S