The Sewing Place

Fabric shop

Arloony

Fabric shop
« on: May 06, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone know of a big fabric shop in my area or close by? I live in a village close to Watford in Herts...
I usually buy my fabric on-line (or small local haberdashers) but wanted to go to a big shop where they have a LOT of choices of fabric....and make a day out of it  :P

Thank you for your help in advance
I will post on the darkside as well...
 :) :sew:

Arlene

BrendaP

Re: Fabric shop
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:29:32 AM »
Hmmm!  If Hertfordshire is anything like Kent it's either Goldhawk Road in west London or a trip 'up north'.   :\
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:00:21 AM »
There is Needlecraft in Hemel Hempstead, that has in the past had a lovely selection of dress fabrics and they also do some P&Q fabrics, knitting yarns and patterns, and an excellent array of habby.

Next there is or was a place in Dunstable called My Sewing Basket, whether they are still there I do not know.

Even further away in Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire there is Sally's mainly a P&Q shop that stocks of lot of Liberty fabrics for P&Q, but some of course can be used for dressmaking.  She also has a reasonable amount of habby and sells some knitting yarns.

For a bigger place there is the Fabric Warehouse in Packet Boat Lane which is between Uxbridge and Yiewsley but I have never been there.

And finally I believe there is a place called Fabricland somewhere around the Greenford area - again I have never been that way.

Whenever I go to somewhere different I put into a Google dressmaking fabrics in such and such an area and then see what comes up, but as you know so many places have now gone it is so difficult to find anything you like unless as BrendaP says go to Goldhawk Road, or possible take a trip up to Birmingham where they have several fabric shops close to a market where there are more fabric stalls.

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 13:38:46 PM »
My Sewing Basket has a very small selection of dressmaking fabric mostly suitable for making costumes. I don't care for polyester. They are still going although they moved premises a while ago, still in Dunstable, just up the road from their old shop.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 13:48:55 PM »
I agree with Brenda P, Kent is a desert with the possible exception of the Haberdashery Shop in Ramsgate.  I used to be a bit wary of on line shopping but I always ask for samples and I haven't bought anything duff yet.  Birmingham is good for fabric of all types both shops and market stalls.  I can recommend both Barry's and Fancy Silks, and Guthrie & Ghani are only a short bus ride from the Bull Ring.

There used to be a Fabric Warehouse in Maidstone but it only sold curtaining and, if you ever go to Liverpool, there is Calico Laine on the Wirral.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up