The Sewing Place

Fabric shop close to Herts

Arloony

Fabric shop close to Herts
« on: May 06, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone know of a big fabric shop in my area or close by? I live in a village close to Watford in Herts...
I usually buy my fabric on-line (or small local haberdashers) but wanted to go to a big shop where they have a LOT of choices of fabric....and make a day out of it  :P

Thank you for your help in advance

:) :sew:

Arlene

Starryfish

Re: Fabric shop close to Herts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 13:35:51 PM »
As far as I know there is only Needlecraft in Hemel Hempstead. https://www.needlecraftstore.co.uk/
I haven't been there for some years but I was disappointed in the selection of dressmaking fabric. The wool and quilting fabrics looked good. If you find anywhere else I would be delighted to know.

I buy the bulk of mine online and the Knitting and Stitching Shows at Alexandra Palace and elsewhere, as well as the shows at the NEC in Birmingham. There just is so little in our part of the country. I am planning to go to the show at Ally Pally in October all being well.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 18:12:56 PM »
I lived near Watford until a couple of years ago and there isn't a lot! There is quilters emporium in Tring. I am lucky to have a small quilting shop 10 minutes walk from me (I am in Buckinghamshire now) but like Starryfish generally rely on:
- NEC in August
- Ally Pally in Spring or Autumn (but my least preferred option).

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 21:28:57 PM by RJR_38 »

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 19:48:36 PM »
I live in WGC and the only fabric shop close by is John Lewis and their selection is getting to be less and less dressmaking and more and more craft/P&Q. 

Yell.com claim quite a few fabric shops within relatively easy travel from Watford but I can't vouch for any of them.  I tend to buy fabric online, or at re-enactors' markets for wool, silk and linen. 

This site is good - they will send you A4 swatches (for a small charge - around 75p or so) so you can see before you buy.

https://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/