The Sewing Place

Why do my pictures show up sideways?

Sara-S

Why do my pictures show up sideways?
« on: May 10, 2021, 23:04:42 PM »
It doesn’t happen all the time. But when I post pics here, some of them show up sideways, even though that is not how they look on my camera or tablet.

I don’t know why it is happening or how to correct it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

Re: Why do my pictures show up sideways?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »
That happens to me too and I don’t know why

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:23:35 AM »
It's something to do with the camera/phone knowing which way around it was when the photo was taken.

I know that very often if I just take a photo, send it to my laptop it will display the right way around - Apple Mac laptop talking to Apple iPhone photo - but if I then try to upload that photo as is it appears sideways on TSP (and far too big).  If I take it into my photo editing software and then export it again to the desktop, usually after resizing, and then upload to TSP it appears the right way around.  Presumably the exporting process resets the orientation.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 10:03:47 AM »
Exactly what @BrendaP says.  A lot of phones and tablets don't have a 'right way up' - they flip to the way you hold them - and the forum software can't make a correct judgement unless the orientation has been set by the originating device. 

Equally, the software receives the image file in the size it is sent, and although it then displays it so that it will fit into a post (approx 900px wide), the entire image is stored on the server and downloaded to each user's device when they access the page.  As many phones and cameras these days take images that are 4,000px+ wide this is a lot of extra data to store and download, and slows the forum down considerably. 

That's why we ask people to change their settings so that the images are smaller to start with, edit them on their phones, or use lunapic (which, incidentally, also deals with the orientation issue).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »
I do always reduce the size of my images but it still puts them in the wrong way round sometimes, I usually use my iPad to post

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 13:12:29 PM »
Sorry - I should have phrased that better.  Using Lunapic stops the orientation problem, resizing pictures will only do so if you do it using a separate image editor.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.