The Sewing Place

New to the South West and hello again

Seaview

New to the South West and hello again
« on: May 11, 2021, 08:25:52 AM »
Hello again, I joined this lovely forum just before we packed up our house in Scotland and moved to Somerset and life has been pretty hectic so I thought I’d say hello again.

Since arriving here I have managed to put my Bernina in for its first ever service as it was due.  At the moment the jury is out on going back there again as when I brought it home the bobbin winder is mysteriously winding slowly/intermittently when the machine is switched on.  It’s happening when I’m both sewing and not sewing and is extremely annoying.  Even more irritating is the fact that I’ve had no issues at all with my machine till I put it in for the service.

Housing is another story around here as we are slowly finding out.  We are currently renting a house in Frome.  It appears to be a nice place and was recommended.  However, houses with parking spaces are few and far between and some streets are so narrow to drive down, let’s just say I’m not making a very good passenger

Celia

Re: New to the South West and hello again
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »
Hi from the South, ok a bit too Far East to be a near neighbour but I used to travel to Somerset a lot until a few years ago. It a nice area and I hope you settle in well.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »
@Seaview, welcome from a Londoner who has her own parking problems.  On the house front, it sounds as if you need Phil and Kirsty (Location, location, location).

I've never had my sewing machine serviced and am not encouraged by your experience.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
Good morning and welcome @Seaview

We recently moved to the Forest of Dean and finding houses with enough parking spaces for two medium sized cars and one long-wheelbase camper van was a huge issue. We came from an area in Dorset with lots of 1950s/60s houses and bungalows with decent sized gardens and found a very different situation here.  I'm sure you will find areas that suit your criteria but a lot of asking around locally may be required.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »
Hello @Seaview   welcome to TSP

My grandparents lived on the Wiltshire/Somerset border so I have lots of nostalgic memories but I have no idea of what the housing market is like.  We detoured through Colerne (Wiltshire) a couple of years ago.  I knew where I was walking around the old village but we got very lost trying to get back onto the main road towards Bath!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:36:57 AM »
That's a long way to move, but hopefully you'll be getting better weather in Somerset.  Last time we went to Scotland, I said I was never going back in the summer as I completely lost my sun tan.

As for servicing machines , my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Seaview

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »
@Seaview, welcome from a Londoner who has her own parking problems.  On the house front, it sounds as if you need Phil and Kirsty (Location, location, location).

I've never had my sewing machine serviced and am not encouraged by your experience.

I like the Kirsty and Phil idea!

I phoned up about a potential property this morning to be told that the director of the estate agents was taking one of his friends to see it out of hours this evening and that it was a bonus knowing him!! 

I used to live in London many moons ago, had some great times there.

Seaview

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
Thank you

Seaview

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
That's a long way to move, but hopefully you'll be getting better weather in Somerset.  Last time we went to Scotland, I said I was never going back in the summer as I completely lost my sun tan.

As for servicing machines , my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

You don’t know how much I am looking forward to better weather and being able to enjoy a garden.

Wish I’d have had your motto on the sewing machine, as a relatively new sewer I thought you had to get your machine serviced even though mine was fine, lesson learnt me thinks.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 12:11:06 PM »
A big welcome from me too @Seaview !

Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

twopence

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 12:29:29 PM »
Welcome @Seaview

Our member @Greybird  may be able to help you with Trowbridge as she is near there.

realale

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »
Welcome @Seaview. My attitude to servicing for machines is the same as @Bodgeitandscarper - I only get them done if something has gone wrong. That's one overlocker seen to in about 30 years!!

I hope you find somewhere suitable to live. I don't know that area so can't give any useful suggestions. If you want to know the worst of an area click on to the local facebook page - they're always full of moaners and this is the worst place to live grouchers but you get some tips in amongst the dross.  Good looking.
So many beers, so little time.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 13:20:43 PM »
Hello @Seaview.  Have you looked around Radstock?  My daughter is going to be selling in Stratton-on-the-Fosse which is a lovely area (not a sales pitch as her house would be too small for 2 teenagers).  Also Chilcompton, which is a nicely sized village.

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 13:21:44 PM »
Hello @Seaview and welcome. I am in Hilperton - not the village itself but Paxcroft Mead just outside. We moved here from Staines 5 years ago and didn't know the area at all. I was in Twickenham before that and grew up in Richmond. We are very happy here.

I wanted to be near to a rail station so that I could travel into London when I wanted and Trowbridge is good for that. The town itself is sadly, like many other towns, a shadow of what it might be but it does have all the "necessary" things and hopefully might regenerate. There is an excellent sewing machine repair shop and I used to be in a sewing group. Before Covid I went into Bath for nice shopping - 18 minutes by train. We have good medical facilities and my neighbours seem happy with the schools. Our nearest big hospital is Bath and I cannot recommend it highly enough. We have excellent local shops too. There is a lot of housing development and most houses seem to have their own parking.

Please let me know if there is anything you would like to know specifically.   

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 13:39:41 PM »
Hello @Seaview and welcome.
Still learning