The Sewing Place

New to the South West and hello again

Seaview

Re: New to the South West and hello again
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 14:10:53 PM »
Thank you!

I don’t have many photographed items but I do have some and will get them posted up soon

Seaview

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 14:17:26 PM »
Thank you @Greybird.  Hopefully Trowbridge will re-generate as is often the case when there is a demand for an area which seems to be the case at the moment.  I’m looking forward to exploring bath for a day out too.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 15:16:07 PM »
I have many happy childhood memories of visiting my grandmother in Chard, Somerset. No idea what the market is like now though.

Seaview

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 15:59:51 PM »
The market very good if you are a seller from what we’ve seen in the short time we’ve been here.  I think the situation is partly driven by the stamp duty holiday.

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 17:18:16 PM »
I think the situation is partly driven by the stamp duty holiday.
Would be second homeowners and the stampede from the cities when the pandemic began is also a problem.

This evening's Radio 4 PM programme is going to have a feature on the overheated housing market.

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 17:23:27 PM »
@UttaRetch - the stampede is certainly being felt here in Cornwall. At this rate the peninsular will sink into the sea very soon, >< to say nothing of the price of houses.

@Seaview - a warm welcome from me too.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 18:25:35 PM »
Cornwall has long neen a second home bolt hole, but the whole country seemed to have gone into mass hysteria. 

The PM programme soundbite interviewed Kirsty Allsop who put the blame largely on the stamp duty holiday (as mentioned above), but she also said that there is a degree of panic too.  So much for the pandemic cooling the market.

LeilaMay

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 19:25:21 PM »
A welcome from Glastonbury!  :)
I haven't been in the area long enough to help with recommendations, except to say it's unlikely any modern estate-based house will have enough room for your vehicles - they are ridiculous these days, some have garages too small to actually get a car in!

Good luck
Leila

Seaview

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 20:22:45 PM »
Thank you.

Yes, have to agree with you on the parking and modern houses, some older houses too have the same problem.  A sweet spot could be 20 or so year old houses when you still got decent sized gardens and parking.

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 20:26:03 PM »
Welcome back Seaview!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charley

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 21:30:42 PM »
Welcome from me too @Seaview. I wish you luck in finding a house for you all.

Surest1tch

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 22:05:32 PM »
Hello @Seaview, welcome.
As long as your machine is sewing well and not making noises that don't sound normal you shouldn't need a mechanic service. Keep it clean, fluff free, well oiled and it should be ok, however in saying that I prefer to use vintage/ancient machines so can't really say if the newer high spec machines need more attention, sorry.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 22:15:45 PM »
@Seaview, as someone who worked in the business  for many years I would definitely recommend having your machine serviced regularly.  They come back quieter, purring, everything reset where it should be.  They should be stripped of cases, oiled and greased where needed.   If done regularly machines can go on  for years.  If neglected they can seize, bearings split and then it can be a very costly repair or a new machine! 

Of course you need to find a good mechanic and that’s not easy nowadays as no youngsters want to learn! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:11 AM »
@LeilaMay and @Seaview, the garage on modern homes is about the same size as those built 50+ years' ago when the family car was the size of a Morris minor.  It's only purpose is as storage.  Modern estate homes are also small and a lot of them poorly built to say the least.

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 09:46:27 AM »
@Seaview - our house was built in 1998 and when we viewed it, there were 7 cars in the driveway.