The Sewing Place

Sewing Neoprene

Ellabella

Sewing Neoprene
« on: May 11, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »
Has anybody any experience of sewing neoprene?

I am attempting to make DH a back support. There are times when he needs a bit of warmth and compression.

As he is of a ‘comfortable’ build :laughing: :laughing: the ones I can buy come up a little short.

I’ve sourced the neoprene and some nice wide Velcro but am worried that sewing the Velcro to the neoprene might weaken it too much. I don’t want things popping when he tightens it.

Gernella

Re: Sewing Neoprene
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
No idea really but there are some YouTube videos if you can stand the blather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hPnxnpxVxA
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:56:46 AM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 18:25:17 PM »
Yes I made a wet suit once... I butted and zigzagged the edges together and stitched tape over the top, stitching down each side.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 19:08:04 PM »
I made a two phone cases for DH yesterday, i used my walking foot and i thought it sewed easily, i also stitched velcro on to it which seemed to go on quite well, i would use it again.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

ScubaGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 15:13:53 PM »
I've always wanted to try it. How did it go? Do you think you need a heavy duty machine for it?

Also can I ask where you sourced the neoprene? I would love to make my own wetsuit, but have no clue where to buy neoprene.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 15:21:58 PM »
Back when I was diving (before you were even a twinkle I suspect) wetsuit kits were sold, with the zips, tape etc.i ended up buying a ready made one but I did a few wetsuit mends. Used a long stitch with thick thread then glued tape on. Since divers in the UK moved to drysuits around 30 years ago I don't know if the kits are still available.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 15:26:44 PM »
@ScubaGirl  This is where i bought mine, i don’t have a heavy duty machine and it went through the sewing machine really easily but it was only 3mm/6mm thick

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Neoprene-Sheets.html
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 16:32:11 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40