The Sewing Place

Pfaff and small sized needles

sewmuchmore

Pfaff and small sized needles
« on: May 12, 2021, 09:24:23 AM »
Does anyone else have a Pfaff (QE4) that will not take a small needle? I am sewing with chiffon and really need a size 8 needle but no matter how tight the screw is it will not stay in the shaft. Is it the machine or have i got a dodgy pack of needles. They are Schmetz so not a cheap brand. I don't have any trouble with other sizes and have had to end up using a size 10 which is not ideal.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Celia

Re: Pfaff and small sized needles
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
The shafts should all be the same size so I think it’s a dodgy pack of needles, I had this happen a while ago with an Overlocker, it was the needles

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 14:04:06 PM »
I also have a Pfaff. Size 70 needles are not a problem, the needle shafts should all be the same regardless of needle size. I did have a spate of using twin needles & having them fall out in use. Since they were expensive Schmetz ones I took them back to the dealer I bought the machine and the needles from. I also took a micrometer to demonstrate to him that the shafts were undersized, and I sat there measuring his stock of twin needles until I found one with a shaft the correct size. He then refunded me for the broken ones. Cheap ones bought online didn't have this problem. This was a few years ago. Since getting a coverstitch machine I haven't used twin needles. So, in a long winded way, I'm saying there may be a problem with the needle. Dealer also told me if the problem continued he could replace the needle clamp in the machine. At that time my machine was barely a year old.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 16:00:28 PM »
I have a Pfaff QE4... never had a problem with any needles... as said before all needle shanks should be the same size.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 16:38:01 PM »
Thanks everyone, i need to restock my needles so will send for some more size 8 and see how i get on.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet