The Sewing Place

How to make border bigger

Sheilago

How to make border bigger
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:05:40 AM »
I am not an expert at crochet, but can manage to do things especially if I have a video to follow. I have crocheted the centre of this baby blanket, but I think it is a bit small ( I used 4 ply and a smaller hook) at just 24” square . I’d like to add a broader border of maybe 3” to take it up to 30” square, but I don’t think the pattern is quite that broad. I’ve done one row of uk doubles and one row of V stitch, but think I need to add extra rows. It’s supposed to have 2 rows of V, one row of Granny and then a frill row. Could I maybe add a treble row somewhere or an extra row of V? Not sure how that would look, so if any expert crocheters have a suggestion, I’d be grateful.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

Re: How to make border bigger
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:59:17 AM »
I think that a couple of rows of the same pattern that the centre is worked would look right.  You might need to undo the last row or two, work the border and then repeat the unpicked rows.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 16:31:13 PM »
That sounds like a good idea @BrendaP . I’ll undo the row of V stitch and do 2 rows of shells; a row to straighten up the shells, then do the rest as per the pattern. Thank you for the good suggestion. :D

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 19:18:00 PM »
@Sheilago   If you have enough yarn - and patience - three rows of shells might look better.  Assess it as you go.

It's looking lovely.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:27:56 AM »

It's looking lovely.

Thank you again @BrendaP , though the picture I put up is just a screen shot from the video. Hope mine does look as good when it’s finished! 0_0

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 14:21:23 PM »
@Sheilago - I don't know whether this will help, but I have the most amazing book of crochet borders. It gives you instructions of how to crochet about 150 different borders, large and small, easy and complicated, all different styles. But the best thing of all is that it helps you calculate how to navigate the corners and get them laying flat, no matter how many stitches you have on each side. Yes, you have to do a little easy maths, but they guide you through it.

The book is available from Amazon in stiff paperback or Kindle.

Around the Corner Crochet Borders

I've used the book for many border projects, and it's never let me down. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
Thank you @Kenora . I might treat myself. At the moment I learn better from videos as I don’t yet follow written crochet instructions the way I do knitting patterns, but I am learning. I really enjoyed making this blanket ( for a good friend of my daughter’s, not due until early Dec!), so I might try another one.
This one is now finished and I’ve got it blocking at the moment. I’ll put up a picture once it’s dried, though it’s by no means perfect. 

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »
@Sheilago - looking forward to seeing your blanket. :)

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
Here is the finished blanket. Slightly more wonky than the one on the video, but once it’s round a baby no one will notice  :D  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »
@Sheilago   It's lovely.  Unless you spend hours pinning and 'blocking' it no blanket is perfectly shaped, and as you say once wrapped around the baby no-one will notice.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 14:16:22 PM »
@Sheilago - it's beautiful, and the border complements it perfectly. <3

charley

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 20:46:09 PM »
@Sheilago so beautiful.