The Sewing Place

Swedish Tracing Paper - worth it?

Syrinx

Swedish Tracing Paper - worth it?
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »
Is it worth it?

I can only find it in really big rolls (10m), but as I haven't made a lot of clothes I don't know how quickly that would get used up or how good it is?

I've heard you can use it as a toile? Obviously for a lightweight piece. The patterns I have arriving need tracing off, and I prefer not cutting patterns out as you spend a fair bit on them and one wrong cut and it's wasted! But most of my tracing of designs/FMQ plans involve small pieces that I use baking paper for -obviously not big enough for an actual pattern piece and I'd rather not be sticking things together.

I'd really like some reviews before I buy some (like modern carbon paper is rubbish - this I know from non sewing things) and how handy it is. It's not a huge amount of money, but enough that I'd like some reviews first!

Francesca

Re: Swedish Tracing Paper - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
It is really nice and it lasts well. Unfortunately for me, it's just too expensive. I trace off everything so I burnt through my roll pretty quickly and I was only using it for extra special things. I'm back to using normal velum now.

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
I found an offer for 4 rolls of 10m for £48 (free shipping). But I'd only be buying one. I like offers, but 40m of tracing paper seems a bit much for me! But maybe I'll buy it and burn through it and wish I'd bought 4 rolls!

Does it work as a toile?

My experience with baking paper was that is was very crunchy and creasy and tore easily. Is this stuff better?

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »
It sort of works as a toile. It's still paper, but I managed to sew gathers with it and get it "on" myself (had to get boyf to hold it closed at the back) to give me an idea. It'd definitely work if you were looking to get an idea of widths and such but it's still got that papery shape so it'll stick out!

Personally, I think you're better off just cutting a toile from fabric. You'll get far more information from it because it's actually fabric. The toile aspect of Swedish tracing paper only really works on things like widths and lengths because it doesn't hang the same way as fabric. I think you'd still need to do a fabric toile anyway for everything but the most simple of garments.

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »
Thanks, widths and lengths would be enough for me so I don't waste toile fabric. I'm short, but have a long ish body so lengths are tricky and being able to sew in gathers/darts without everything tearing would be super handy. I really hate wasting fabric!

Sounds like it might be worth a purchase then!

After some snooping I discovered that if you are buying 10 or more rolls from here you can get a bulk discount - not sure what it is, but might be worth asking them? http://www.creative-industry.co.uk it's in the wholesale tab.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:02:24 PM »
STOP TRACING EVERYTHING YOU CRAZY OBSESSIVES!!!!
 :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:
lol lol lol :devil:
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
But what happens if I want to sew something in another size?  :angel:

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
For the first time in ages last night, I cut out a pattern straight from the packet!  :o  :devil:

That said a) it only cost me £1, and b) there were only two sizes, and no darts, so I folded the edges over.

I don't really worry too much about what I trace onto, my alterations are usually done on the toile, not the pattern.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Syrinx

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
You want to cut this?! There's a bajillion patterns all on one sheet for a load of different pieces of clothes!
 :S

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »
I do trace the 'multi' patterns, and the others tbh, but I'm not to bothered what I trace them onto.  Usually brown wrapping paper does the job.

I don't tend to trace in the traditional way as my eyesight is pretty poor.  I lay the pattern piece on top of the paper and use a hat pin to prick through to the brown paper.  I then join the dots and cut out.

It's a method I've used for a long time now, and it suits me well.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 14:19:58 PM »
I do trace the 'multi' patterns, and the others tbh, but I'm not to bothered what I trace them onto.  Usually brown wrapping paper does the job.

I don't tend to trace in the traditional way as my eyesight is pretty poor.  I lay the pattern piece on top of the paper and use a hat pin to prick through to the brown paper.  I then join the dots and cut out.

It's a method I've used for a long time now, and it suits me well.

Jessie

I used to do something similar for the old Burda magazine multi sheets-  I used to snaffle the huge sheets of white paper used between  layers of bags of sugar on pallets in the supermarket.  It used to drive the kids mad with embarassment as I happily rearranged tons of sugar, to wiggle and squiggle the enormous sheets out! [Even better  :devil:]
Then I'd lay the paper pattern on top, and use a tracing weel to puncture through.  Five minutes later, all done, and I'd join the dots with a felt pin.

Come on ladies, this obsessive stuff about utter accuracy can be left for the dark side!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 15:55:12 PM »
If I'm tracing from a Burda mag I just use Burda tracing paper that you get from haberdasheries and which is quite cheap. Haven't traced a pattern in yonks though. With paper patterns I just cut. I'm at the top of a size range and I know the sorts of adjustments I need to make. TBH I can't be a***d bovvered tracing. A bit like DF but without the  :fish:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 17:17:26 PM »
The chances of me wanting to make a different size are pretty remote and so I just cut the tissue pattern to the size needed and make any fitting alterations on that. 

The only time I trace anything is if I need two pieces for the cutting layout - ie two pairs of cuff pieces, or if I need the whole collar or yoke on non folded layout.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

washi

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 18:36:56 PM »
I love Swedish tracing paper. I also love tracing patterns. I didn't even know it was a thing until I started using Burda and Ottobre. Now I trace everything, including tissue paper patterns and PDFs. I only skip tracing if it's a one-off thing like a child's costume.

I like that the Swedish tracing paper doesn't tear or wrinkle very much, folds easily for storage and has a bit of cling to fabric for cutting out. Easy for alterations and notes, too, without all the extra lines and markings on commercial patterns.

Didi

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 21:34:41 PM »
I don't do tracing, though given my present apparent inability to get anything to fit, maybe I should
I always think there are thousands of patterns out there so if some miracle happens and I lose weight I can get a new one
I do have burka tracing paper I use it to fill in the gaps on various adjustments, I did buy a tracing wheel years ago don't think I've used it and not even sure where it is now