The Sewing Place

Are the gremlins getting in again?

Esme866

Re: Are the gremlins getting in again?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2021, 22:14:54 PM »
Just happy this wasn't my aging phone.

@Acorn please be happy you're not dealing with a General Electric 6 month old range, still under warranty. Minimum 1-1/2 hour on hold to speak to each inept, unqualified person that can only tell you how many days it will take to get an answer to your question. Every question requires 2 days and then they don't cal back for 4. Are the parts in stock? 2 -4 days to get an answer (took me 10 mins to look up on my phone), but hopefully they will tell me by Monday. Then 3-4 more days to see when service might show up. (Were scheduled to be here with parts for repair last Friday, May 7)

Slow running website, not wonderful, but much more pleasant than intentional harassment and abuse from a manufacturer.

Sorry, this should have gone on the rant thread, but I'm just so happy it's not my phone! :dance:

UttaRetch

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
Images are not fully loading for me.  I am using Mac 10.13.6 with firefox 88.0.1 (the latest version).  I can only see half the picture.  I logged in on my mobile and everything loads fully.

Acorn

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 09:18:08 AM »
Have you turned your computer off and on again?  Cleared your cache?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2021, 13:14:56 PM »
I don't have a cache since everything is cleared when I log out of the browser.  I also close down completely at the end of the day, but the site seems to be back to normal.

Helen M

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 13:21:05 PM »
Late to add my pennysworth but site painfully slow from I think Tues/Wed. Was busy with other things but thought of posting. Seems to be a lot better today.

Thanks to all behind the scenes!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

MistyRose

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 13:29:37 PM »
Mines better today.

charley

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 21:17:24 PM »
This evening, I cannot see any photos, and some avatars are a black square. I will try the switch off and on again trick.

charley

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 21:23:26 PM »
That did not work, I cannot see any photos posted today, and some avatars are a black square.

fajita

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 22:13:13 PM »
@charley when I was having trouble with the site yesterday, it was suggested I try using a different browser to see if it helped. Might be worth a try.

BrendaP

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
In another thread @Acorn wrote:

The only way to reduce the photo footprint is to post smaller photos or use lunapic (or other photo hosting sites) so that the photo is stored elsewhere.

Were the problems a couple of days ago caused by too many large images using up precious storage space?

If that is the case would it be possible to set a limit within the software as to how big an image can be so that no-one is able to post an oversize image?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
I don't believe that was what caused the problems, although overly large images will always slow down the loading of the forum, more for those with slower broadband speeds.

There is a facility to limit the size of images that can be uploaded, and we would use it if we needed to as a last resort.  However, it seems to be fraught with potential problems - the limit has to be given in kB rather than pixels, and there is no way of saying that a picture of a certain width/height will be OK, because there is no direct correlation.  I don't like to think of the reaction if we told people they needed to adjust the kB size of their images before uploading them! 

I have also heard reports that rather than being told that the image is too large, a user is likely to get one of a variety of error messages, which will make them assume the forum is at fault and not them.  More flak for the admins.

However, as phone cameras are now taking truly enormous photos, we may have to try using this facility at some point.

Much better if people just think before they upload though.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2021, 14:44:20 PM »
I always look at my pictures in terms of Kb and Mb. I used to send in between 500 Kb and 1 Mb for articles in local papers and mags.

Maybe it's worth having a sticky that appears regularly on screen (I don't mean every 10 minutes but perhaps weekly or something) reminding people that photo sizes have to be below XXXKb. It's easy enough to go into phone camera settings and find out what it's doing. Or perhaps a special message could be automatically sent to each new member explaining this.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2021, 14:57:30 PM »
I don't "do"photos which limits my ability to join in with things as @Iminei will testify.
I post from my cheap Kindle Fire tablet.
I hope I won't let the side down 're the Boom thingy by my lack of photography manipulation  @RJR_38
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 14:59:50 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Nevis5

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2021, 16:01:58 PM »
I have black squares on some of the avatars today along with having lost my emoticons.  Hey ho.  I'll reboot the old Mac and see what happens.

Diane

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2021, 16:53:57 PM »
I'm having trouble viewing pictures  :'( either the picture isn't there and it's forcing me to download the image which i don't want to keep doing or the picture isn't loading. I haven't had any issues before and i'm running a high spec chromebook.
All Sorted Now
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 17:07:54 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40