The Sewing Place

Stylearc Bonita dress

dolcevita

Stylearc Bonita dress
« on: May 13, 2021, 15:02:10 PM »
This is recent design from Stylearc and is something of a holy grail of summer dresses for me:
1. It has sleeves and, even better, they're floaty and pretty.
2. No zip or fiddly fastenings - it has an elasticated waist and then a wide belt to tie over it (I never think elastic waists on dresses look good)
3. It's designed for soft, drapey woven fabrics such as the viscose I used in this one, so lovely and cool for warmer weather. If it arrives. Ever.

It's a really quick sew for this dress, on account of the pull-on design and the draped style, so no fiddly fitting issues, either, and yet it still looks reasonably smart.

I bought the PDF version of the pattern and had a A0 copy printed by Fabricate. They were recommended here on TSP and they're really good with competitive pricing and good service. I detest sticking loads of A4 pages together and would far rather pay for an A0 print with accurate lines.

The fabric is another woven viscose from Poundfabrics; they seem to have sold most of their viscose now, but I'll keep an eye open in case they get more, as I've now used 2 of the 3 lengths that I bought and I've been pleased with them.

If anyone fancies a go at this dress, be aware of the length. I'm just over 5'4" and didn't need to shorten anything, neither bodice nor skirt, and the hemmed skirt hits me at just below mid-knee. For anyone taller, you'd need to add length, especially if you want to keep the blousy look to the bodice. That aside, it was nice to not need to shorten anything for a change!

The front view:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The essential well-dressed accessory:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 15:06:21 PM by dolcevita »

Ellabella

Re: Stylearc Bonita dress
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 16:13:41 PM »
That’s lovely @dolcevita   

A good pattern for that sort of fabric and I love the colour.

As you say all we need now is a summer.

jen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 17:09:53 PM »
Super colour!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 17:13:51 PM »
Very nice indeed.  I love viscose - to wear and to look at, but not to sew!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 17:15:50 PM »
That looks lovely. I really like the fabric as well as the style.
So many beers, so little time.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 15:59:11 PM »
Gorgeous dress, perfect for the summer ahead, and nice and cool with those floaty sleeves. I have some woven viscose in my stash waiting (too long) for inspiration, thanks for the prompt @dolcevita :).

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 17:59:40 PM »
Lovely summer dress, should be comfortable and easy to wear, too. I agree with what you say about the skirt length, as far as it's possible to tell from a phone screen photo, it looks as if it would be too short for me at 5'7". A longer skirt would suit the style as much as the knee-length version though.

Fabricate are good for printing aren't they? I've had a couple of pdf patterns done by them recently, also following the recommendation on this forum.