The Sewing Place

Shortening...

Efemera

Shortening...
« on: May 13, 2021, 16:50:36 PM »
I need a second opinion... I need to shorten this about 3-4 inches...how would you do it?

Acorn

Re: Shortening...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 17:02:49 PM »
I'd take 1.5 to 2 inches off each gathered piece.  I think they look good evenly balanced, and it would be risky taking any off the bodice, unless it is genuinely too long.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 18:39:55 PM »
I agree, length off the two gathered pieces, nothing off the bodice. If you take any off the bodice it may look like it's hanging off the widest part of the bust, not a good look.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 18:47:16 PM »
I'd take 1.5 to 2 inches off each gathered piece.  I think they look good evenly balanced, and it would be risky taking any off the bodice, unless it is genuinely too long.

@Acorn ...Taking it off the bottom of the top tier would shorten the width and there would be more gathers on the top of the bottom tier...I think.. this is what I can’t get my head around.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 18:47:44 PM »
Oooh, that was one of the first patterns I made when I started sewing again about 7 years ago.  I made it in a bright blue corduroy - but didn't need to shorten it!

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 18:50:57 PM »
Oh, I see what you mean.   Umm.

Presumably if you made the top tier smaller (in terms of the sideways length (!) ) the top gathers wouldn't be enough.

Aaagh!  :scream:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 19:34:15 PM »
Wouldn't you shorten each of the two sections somewhere in the middle of each pattern piece? How they fit together shouldn't be affected then.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 20:08:39 PM »
Wouldn't you shorten each of the two sections somewhere in the middle of each pattern piece? How they fit together shouldn't be affected then.
they are not  just straight pieces.. they’re curved..

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 20:11:24 PM »
Gordon Bennet
yes, got it now... just cut in the middle following the curve and overlap.. thanks @Vezelay !

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 01:23:51 AM »
I also would remove 1/2 of the needed amount from the middle of the two tiers if they are curved.  Then you can smooth out the sides easily.