The Sewing Place

Late love syndrome

Gernella

Late love syndrome
« on: May 14, 2021, 13:12:20 PM »
Do you ever get this, you make it, generally takes a bit to do, looks good finished but when you try it on you don't think it suits you and stuff it away.

Then  sometime later you pull it out, try it on and realise you like it.  I've had this a few times, or think the fabric feels stiff so wash it a few times or in one case, some denim with a sort of sheen on it, was making me itch, I finished up take the collar off and replacing with cotton fabric, and thereafter have worn quite a lot in summer. Or sometimes in my case a few pounds off my weight makes the difference.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

mudcat

Re: Late love syndrome
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 17:56:14 PM »
I've done that before.  I think sometimes you get tired of looking at something if it takes longer to finish.

I've also bought RTW that I thought was only OK and then over time it becomes a favorite that I end up wearing a lot. 

And why am so much more picky about the fit of me made items and less picky about RTW?

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 19:06:38 PM »
This tends to happen more with almost finished UFOs for me, usually as it's getting towards the end of the season for the garment and I can't be bothered to finish it for various reasons. Then, at the start of the season the following year I find it again and have long since forgotten what annoyed me and have a garment finished in double-quick time as most of the hard work has been done. Very satisfying.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 21:07:19 PM »
Yes I quite often dig out UFOs and finally finish them. Ditto with RTW. I just refound a dress that was too tight when I first bought it but now fits as I've lost weight.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 05:03:13 AM »
I did this years ago with a Qiana nylon dress. The style dictated putting in the zip,the neck and armscye facings, and a criss-cross decorative feature that crossed over the girls. All that was left was 2 side seams and a shirt tail hem on the bottom and up each side as they were slit open to the upper thighs. For some reason, I felt the need to slip it over my head to see what it would look like finished and it was hideous! Threw it into a back corner of the closet.

Months later, I was prowling thru the closet for something to wear out that night and found the wad of nylon. I thought, "what the heck" will take less than 5 minutes to sew the sides. Turned out to be one of my favorite dresses ever!

So I've never done it again. A few years back, I made myself a very popular style of jumper(pinafore) from maroon corduroy to wear at Christmas. With every step along the way, it was looking uglier and uglier. I mentioned it to a friend who can practically dress herself in a bedsheet and look good, and she exclaimed, "of course it looks awful ! You have to be flat chested to wear that style!" (DD's don't qualify.) I finished the dress and pinned info onto the inside back explaining the sizing and donated to a thrift shop. I had taken my time and the quality of the job was really excellent. Somebody got a brand new trending dress for next to nothing!

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »
I read your title @Gernella and thought you'd been trawling the Wrinklies Dating Sites :laughing: Clickbait or what?? I was disappointed to find it was about clothes  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »
Me too, @Lowena .  I thought @Gernella had some gossip news for us.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »
Go on @Gernella spill the beans.... Is there a toyboy on the horizon? @Pearl and I won't tell anyone.... Honestly  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 11:37:18 AM »
I read your title @Gernella and thought you'd been trawling the Wrinklies Dating Sites :laughing: Clickbait or what?? I was disappointed to find it was about clothes  :laughing:

:laughing:

I only returned to sewing a few months ago so anything I make that ends up in the 'I'm NOT wearing THAT' pile has been placed there because of my c**p sewing! So no, I don't think it will ever be loved!

RTW on the other hand is a different matter. Lately I've been watching lots of TV programmes from the 80s/90s and what can I say??? The more you see giant shoulder pads the less odd they appear! Anyway, the other day I was sorting through some of my old clothes and I found two, yes jackets that I really like!  :o :o :o.

One of which I've actually been wearing.  :laughing:
What can I say? .... I'll be wearing purple next.  :)

Celia

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
When I make clothes if I finish it at night I never try it on as I never like it?? If I wait a day or two there is much more chance I will like it.  If I am in doubt I will leave it even longer….

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 13:50:35 PM »
I read your title @Gernella and thought you'd been trawling the Wrinklies Dating Sites

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  Trust me @Lowena as a friend said to me, when you've spent a lifetime getting them just how you like them, why waste the rest of your life trying to train another one. Easier to train another cat, or two. :meow:
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 14:01:28 PM »
I've bought some lovely cotton lawn from Fabric Godmother a few years ago, simple but casual dress with buttons down the front piece and shaped hem.  Looked fine on, at which point I was going to do the buttonholes. Trouble was, even with no buttons fastened down the front neck piece, it was a struggle to get over my head, or rather from over my back I'm not so flexible now but don't have a problem with a back zip.  I can't change to a zip as it has a collar on.

It's sitting there, maybe another stone off :S

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 14:28:49 PM »
I've just had another archaeological dig into the wardrobe and have found a surprisingly nice linen suit from M&S I'd completely forgotten. The size is ambitious even by the standards of my thinner days but I'm shifting the buttons over a bit on the trousers and I reckon it will be ok. Interestingly I see that the top was made in Lithuania and the trousers were made in Morocco even though they are clearly meant to match.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 16:29:47 PM »
@Gernella  Can you open a seam and put in a side zip? I hate having to reach down my back so I always change to a side one if i can.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 16:43:21 PM »
It's an idea @toileandtrouble  although to be honest I've not tried it on again  since I made it, I might have another try and see if it comes off easier.  That particular day, I was upstairs in the sewing room, it was a really hot day and it felt like it was sticking to my back as I pulled it over my head.  Red faced when it came off.  Maybe a few pounds off since then   might do it.  This is when a lined dress is so much easier to deal with.