The Sewing Place

Late love syndrome

Ohsewsimple

Re: Late love syndrome
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 17:14:52 PM »
I don’t seem to have too many things I make that I don’t like afterwards.  Maybe I’m too boring and stick to what I like and feel comfortable with.  I know there are styles that I won’t go near so don’t bother trying.  I also use a croquis if it’s something a bit different or I’m not sure of style lines.  I had an idea once and was convinced it would work for me.  When I drew it on the croquis it was an instant 'oh good grief what were you thinking' moment.  But a few minutes of that saved a lot of wasted time and fabric. 

BriarRose

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 17:23:51 PM »
I hadn't read this thread because I thought it was going to be about geriatric romance.  :loveit:

Last week, I wore a long shirt that has been hanging in my closet, unworn, for at least three years. Always liked it in theory but not in reality, but couldn't bring myself to give it away. Glad I didn't. It was exactly what I wanted that day. :thumbsup:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

charlotte

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
I don't often get this with sewing, because if I am not liking something, it generally doesn't get finished!  :S

However, I think it's a bit like when you've cooked a big elaborate meal and you've been smelling it for so long and are so involved in it, that you don't want to actually eat it when it's done!

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
Gernella many years ago I made a dress that had a collar on and button front, but it also had a zip in the back which finished just an inch or two beneath the collar - you have nothing to lose by trying a zip in either the CB or in the side seam, and by doing this have a perfectly comfortable and wearable dress.  Good luck

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 12:58:38 PM »
I hadn't read this thread because I thought it was going to be about geriatric romance.  :loveit:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 13:02:21 PM »
I'm warming up on this idea @Elnnina probably needs some more thought about doing it that I haven't got at the moment.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Tiggy

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 16:35:25 PM »

......And why am so much more picky about the fit of me made items and less picky about RTW?

I’m with you there.  In my case, secretly, I want my hand made clothes to look ‘expensive’ and leave people wondering what ‘label’ they are.....  but in reality, I think M&S is often closer to the mark. 
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Catllar

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 18:13:24 PM »
I tried on a dress I'd self-drafted. At the time I liked it,  put it away for winter pulled it out today and it's hug on me - I know I've lost weight but even so. It is now in the "do something with but not today as it means moving pockets" basket. It may be there some time.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SkoutSews

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 18:38:38 PM »
Oh yes, this happens a lot! Sometimes the process of making the garment gets dragged out, or there are fitting issues that take a while to sort out, or I realise that the image I had of the finished garment is far from the reality. Whatever the cause, I just need to take a rest from it and it can be surprising how much it has improved when I take another look.

On the other hand, some things do just get abandoned....  -<