The Sewing Place

Mending a tear

Cate

Mending a tear
« on: February 11, 2024, 22:57:12 PM »
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, the thing is i was taking in the sleeves of a casual jacket and was cutting the threads to neaten and i must have accidentally cut through the front bodice of the jacket. Its a really small cut which I didn’t notice until my customer brought the jacket back to me to show me.  It cant be stitched as its a polyamide fabric, so really thin.  What is the way to go with this please. Here is a pic with a finger behind to show the cut.

Ouryve

Re: Mending a tear
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 23:16:28 PM »
I wonder if some of the seam tape used on waterproof coats would help to hold it together?
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Cate

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 23:51:20 PM »
Oh that’s an interesting thought Ouryve, I’ll have a look for some

Missie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 12:07:14 PM »
I wonder if some of the seam tape used on waterproof coats would help to hold it together?

Or failing that some light weight iron-on interfacing. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 12:37:41 PM »
I used iron on interfacing when a falling tree branch caught the back of a waterproof jacket that I was wearing. It made an
L-shaped tear. I ironed the interfacing on from  the inside of the jacket so that I didn't damage the outside with the iron.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 20:25:23 PM »
I need to repair DH's waterproof coat which got caught on a bramble which also has an L shaped hole in the back.
I'm concerned that if I just use iron on interfacing that little section will leak in the rain. I'm aware I will have to unpick some of the lining to get in there.
DH sent me a link to this McNett Gore-Tex Fabric Repair Kit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10032579646?iid=166405163749

I wondered about something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266547342709?hash=item3e0f75ad75:g:MHIAAOSwu31jHbNv

what do you think?

coffeeandcake

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 20:39:52 PM »
@SewRuthieSews I didn't have any problems with the tear leaking. I did undo some of the lining so that I could make the repair and I made sure that the tear was really well pulled together. The GoreTex link that you've posted looks like a really good solution.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 22:17:29 PM »
The stuff on eBay looks pretty cheap to me.  And would have to be put on the outside by the looks of it.  It’s all a bit of a gamble at the end of the day because you just don’t know how the fabric will behave.  Gore tex would be great for a gore tex coat obviously as it’s made for it. 

Mamashep

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 15:45:16 PM »
I fixed a jacket with an L-shaped tear last week. It was waterproof, so could not use interfacing. I ended up using the inside pocket and fabric glue to strengthen it, then did a 3-step zig-zag over the tear to make sure the edges were well fixed down, and would not catch. The owner (grandaughter's dad) was absolutely delighted when he got it back, grandaughter came in and said "granny, my dad said you are a genius"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 16:02:16 PM »
Clever idea @Mamashep

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 20:40:08 PM »
Google 'Supermend' powder. It works a treat. Sorry I can't do a link - don't know how. Economical and effective.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !