The Sewing Place

Patching jeans ... yet again!

toileandtrouble

Re: Patching jeans ... yet again!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 07:50:32 AM »
@Iminei  the fabric doesn't stretch until it is pulled, so in that area I would treat it as an ordinary woven Just tack the patch on closely. I would do two lines so it should not move when you machine stitch between them. Would a gentle zigzag sink into the lame? Perhaps put a layer of tissue paper behind to stop the dogs pulling the stretch fabric. That is my thought anyway.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 10:26:03 AM »
Some lamé fabrics are woven and those mostly fray just by looking at them and would be very difficult to work with.  Other lamé fabrics are knitted/jersey.  They don't fray badly and will have a bit of stretch, but because the glitter is printed onto those fabrics they need to have a very gentle wash, unlike denim which takes any amount of machine washing.

If you are thinking of doing an appliqué patch you could use a bit of Bondaweb, Mistyfuse or similar to hold the patch in place and then a zig-zag or overcast machine stitch all around the edge of the patch to make it secure.  Or you could work blanket stitch by hand all around; that would mean that you wouldn't have to open up the leg seam.

A patch on the shin of one leg balanced by another on the thigh of the other leg would make it all look more intentional.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 13:20:00 PM »
If it's only a small hole I'd buy a patch, glue it in place and then hand sew it on.