The Sewing Place

Love vario pliers - tool advice please

Vezelay

Love vario pliers - tool advice please
« on: May 17, 2021, 15:58:51 PM »
I still don't understand why when I bought this Love Vario pliers a couple of years ago (after some serious enabling on the forum :[) it included no tools of any practical use! I already have Kam snap pliers so the Love Vario have never even been used.

So I want to buy the tool set for applying 8/9mm - and preferably also 6mm - double cap rivets. That's all I need really. I wonder can anyone show me a picture of exactly which tools I would need? A picture would be great.

I have the rivets but the hand tools in the set are useless and I'd rather not spend £50 on a rivet press unless I have to.

StitchinTime

Re: Love vario pliers - tool advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 16:40:54 PM »
Looking at the packs of Prym snaps, eyelets and rivets, the starter sets seem to come with the tools included so if you are buying these you may not need to get the tool set separately. The tool insets in the starter set fit either the included basic tool or Vario Pliers.

If you want to buy the tools alone, the only ones I can find are for piercing or for colour snaps:
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/prym-piercing-tools-for-vario-pliers-st-3-4-8mm
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/prym-non-sew-colour-snaps-tools-set

There's quite a detailed article about Prym Vario pliers on the Guthrie and Ghani website:
https://guthrie-ghani.co.uk/blog/how-to-use-prym-vario-pliers

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 17:50:51 PM »
Thanks @StitchinTime. The snaps and eyelets tools you linked to were already included with my pliers. I did read the Guthrie and Ghana info - it has a picture of the Prym jeans rivet tool but one of those rivet parts has a different shape, ie not a standard double cap which is what I'm looking for and I haven't found what I want elsewhere on the web. I'm not sure now that it even exists so unless someone here knows different...the rivet press beckons.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 18:20:17 PM »
I have this problem every time I get them out @Vezelay , I can never remember which end I use for each side, other than the rounded cup is for the top.  Fortunately every time I've bought some new snaps they come with a picture, so I usually study that for a bit.  Videos are also very useful.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 22:45:46 PM »
Quick update - I've decided to give up on the Love Vario for installing rivets and just ordered a 240 two-size four-colour rivet set I saw recommended on a Sewcanshe YouTube tutorial. It includes the right hand tools (as opposed to the last set I bought which doesn't). In case anyone is tempted it's this one.