The Sewing Place

Pressing matters.

Tiggy

Pressing matters.
« on: May 17, 2021, 16:31:33 PM »
Can anybody explain what a Teflon shoe does for the pressing of clothes?  Does it mean you don’t need a pressing cloth?  Do I need one?

Also, can anybody recommend a sleeve ironing board that feels solid, and not as if it is going to collapse in use?
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Vezelay

Re: Pressing matters.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 19:57:45 PM »
I have the Brabantia sleeve board, use it constantly, not just for sleeves - and it's good and solid. Not the cheapest but well worth the price imo.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 20:44:23 PM »
I think the Teflon foot thingy just helps the sole glide over the fabric easily as you say without a pressing cloth.
Never used one so didn’t know what they’re like.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 21:44:26 PM »
I thought the Teflon shoe thing on the iron was to prevent any risk of scorching...?

We were given one to try where I worked but we didn't like it. We couldn't seem to press the clothes as efficiently so we abandoned it.
TBH I don't think we really tried to get used to it.

Sandra.
xxx

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 00:10:48 AM »
I too have a Brabantia sleeve board @Tiggy – 20+ years old I suspect, constantly in use for both home ironing as well as sewing and it's as rock solid as ever. My daughter got one with her Beldray ironing board and it's been exactly as you describe.

While I've been sewing face masks and then doll's clothes, that sleeve board and my tailor's board are all I've needed throughout the construction.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 06:20:26 AM »
I always thought the teflon thing just looked awkward and cumbersome, plus I later read it would not take the place of a pressing cloth, so I have no desire to even try one......more $$$ for fabric.

I prefer wooden sleeve boards, they are quite sturdy. Never had one of my own so plan to build one soon (probably should have bought the wood last year, right?) They are easier to find these days from vendors that sell tailoring supplies. Had a cheap metal one years ago - quite useless - eventually went to trash.

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 10:40:44 AM »
I have a sturdy wooden one made by my son, to my sort of design, both the upper and lower boards are different sizes for obvious reasons and it certainly helps.  He used the same wood to create  the support that goes between the boards  and that  helps, and as for the depth on the boards, they are deep.  I have then covered both the boards with the special ironing board felt and then cut down an old ironing board cover and utilized the special edging tape that was on this cover for the two boards as it is less bulky than having an elastic hem.  Needless to say the boards are extremely heavy but they work for me.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »
I keep meaning to get a new one.  Chucked my old metal one out.  Would love a wooden one. 
at the moment I’m using a cardboard tube which is covered and does raw job fairly well.  It’s what i use for trouser seams. 

Never used one of the Teflon shoes.  Think they would be extra cumbersome.  I like my silk organza.

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
When you're pressing seams, it's more of a press than a glide. It's the main difference between the ironing of finished articles and linen, and that of pressing seams for sewing - a very different action. I'm with @Ohsewsimple - an organza press cloth is in my arsenal of most used pressing tools, and it makes up for most sort of deficiencies with irons.

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 13:35:49 PM »
I had never heard of a Teflon shoe. I had to google it!

My sleeve board is three custom cut pieces of MDF glued together, with some ironing board lining and fabric on top. I wanted a skinny one, that would fit in my skinny lady sleeves. I found that the ones for sale were geared towards big man shirt sleeves.

Tiggy

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 17:14:33 PM »
........ I like my silk organza.

So do I. 
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE