The Sewing Place

Burda 02-19/105 Trench coat

Vezelay

Re: Burda 02-19/105 Trench coat
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
@b15erk there are contact details on Catherine Daze's blog (the link Lizzy777 posted). Why not ask her? She might reply, worth a try anyway.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 11:28:03 AM »
@Vezelay , thank you!  Good idea.  I have emailed Burda but don't hold out any great hopes for a reply.  I think quantity is an important bit of information.  You shouldn't have to buy the pattern in order to find you haven't got enough!  Even paper patterns have this information available on the outside.

Right, off to email Catherine Daze!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 13:12:26 PM »
I just checked the Russian Burda site and the fabric requirements are

Main Fabric 4,00–4,00–4,05–4,05–4,10 m @ 140 cm wide and lining 2,60–2,60–2,60–2,65–2,65 m @ 140 см wide

I don't think that's what you were hoping for.

Starryfish

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 13:13:50 PM »
I looked up a couple of other trench coat patterns, a Vogue and a Style Arc, and I think 3 yards will not be enough. The  Style Arc Prue is a shorter above knee coat and that takes 3 yards for size 12 -18. The Vogue takes about 4m. It's the back storm flap and belt that takes up a fair amount as well as the facing.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 13:24:42 PM »
@Starryfish @sleepingwolf , thank you both so much!

You are both right, unless my fabric is super wide, the length I have is not going to be enough... :S

Unless I go for a 3/4 length... :thinking:

I did have an email from Burda saying a) that they had attached the instructions to the email - they hadn't... b) that they were considering adding fabric requirements to the description in the future...

Not as positive as I would have liked.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 13:50:51 PM »
they were considering adding fabric requirements to the description in the future...
Why would you not do that in the first place?  I can't understand how you are supposed to make a pattern if you don't know the fabric requirements.  :S

dolcevita

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 14:22:04 PM »
Sorry for the late reply on this! I've had a look at the pattern in my copy of that issue. The fabric requirement is for 4m, measured on 140cm wide fabric. That said, it's REALLY long! I've just measured one of my mid-calf length coats, and the full back length is 92cm. I'm just under 5'5" in height. The Burda trench coat is 120cm long - that would be ankle length on me! I usually need to take out anything between 3cm and 4cm from the sleeve length, so all those length adjustments would mean I needed far less than the full stated amount.

You can also do a cheat if desperately want to use the fabric you have and have another similar one. The upper back will be covered by the storm flap (which has a lovely curve to it, by the way) and not cut the whole of each back in one piece, but substitute something else for what lies under the storm flap, if that makes sense. You could also piece the front facings at the bottom, where it won't show so much. One thing to watch out for, though, is the self fabric belt - they always take a surprising amount of fabric. You can reduce how much you need for it by making it a buckle up belt rather than a tie one, as the buckle version needs less fabric.

With a bit of devious planning, you might just manage it.

Starryfish

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 14:25:04 PM »
@dolcevita , those are good suggestions, also if @b15erk 's fabric is plain she can place the pieces without worrying about the direction.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 14:34:07 PM »
Thanks all, and thank you @dolcevita for some really good suggestions.

I thought I had posted measurements of my fabric, but it appears not.  So here goes.

Fabric is 8'4" long and 62" wide, so I have a bit of wiggle room on the width, as Burda width is 55".

I think I may go for it.

I will definitely be measuring the length carefully, and taking all other suggestions for fabric saving into account.  I do like the tie belt, and in the past I have used lining fabric on the 'wrong' side.  I'm thinking Lilya's shorts here.

This will be a long project I think, as I'll have to think carefully about best use of fabric, and if I can find any suitable fabric, I may even do a toile!

Thank you all for such useful suggestions.

Jessie

Sewcycle

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2021, 14:49:06 PM »
The coat does look lovely and really classic. <3
'Is there a life before breakfast'

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2021, 15:14:13 PM »
Pattern bought, $11.99,  and printed - 71 Pattern pages plus 6 pages of Instructions!  Still, it beats tracing!

I will be taking my time in order to make the most of my available fabric.  I also need to look for a suitable lining - I have one in mind, but again, quantity may be an issue...

Paperwork has taken longer than expected, so I'm off upstairs at last, to do some sewing.

Jessie

Esme866

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 07:29:16 AM »
Wish I still had a waist, 'cause I would definitely make this trench, it looks perfect....and it is so refreshing to see structured shoulders again!

I have made front facings that were pieced together - if that helps. It's not like the extra seams actually show very much. One longer jacket I made had 3 piece inner facings on each side. Not a problem with lighter weight fabrics.