The Sewing Place

Burda 02-19/105 Trench coat

b15erk

Burda 02-19/105 Trench coat
« on: May 18, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
Got a bit side tracked while waiting for the washer to finish.  I found this Burda pattern, and I have a fabric which I think will suit beautifully.

Has anyone made this Burda trench, and how did it make up?

TIA

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

Re: Burda 02-19/105 Trench coat
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 13:10:33 PM »
Picture?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 13:26:52 PM »
Her goes - third time lucky!

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 13:28:56 PM »
I have looked on Pattern Review, but there is only one review, and that isn't too encouraging!

I have some fabric, which I think will be perfect, but don't want to start something and give up because it's too difficult.

Jessie

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 13:42:12 PM »
The style is too boxy for me but having speed read the review on PR, I too would be discouraged. What with Burda's famously terse instructions and the difficulty rating of expert, I wouldn't start this unless I was determined to finish.

Starryfish

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 13:57:24 PM »
I made a trench coat from a Burda pattern from 2010, which I still wear and like. This one looks boxier and the shoulders look too wide for the model. If I was going to make this I would definitely  do a toile,  especially if you are shorter than average.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

realale

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 15:53:44 PM »
I like the look of that pattern. I haven't made it so can't comment but I like that it isn't double breasted. Being vertically challenged anything double breasted on me has a widening effect, add a tie belt and sack of potatoes leaps to mind.

It reminds me of when I was wearing my favourite short, red, double breasted trench coat and as I walked in a department store I saw a woman coming towards me wearing the same coat. Just as I was thinking "I hope I don't look as bad in my coat as she does in hers", I realised it was one of those full length mirrors on a pillar. I went home, put the coat in the charity pile and never wore it again!!  0_0

Having said that, I love trench coats.
So many beers, so little time.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 22:12:12 PM »
I haven’t made this but it looks quite straightforward.

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 22:46:52 PM »
@b15erk

There's this very long and detailed review here. Wondered if you had seen it?
https://blog.cyberdaze.org/category/projects/burda-105-02-2019-trench-coat/

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »
The reviewer did a great job and the fitted version looks good on her tall, slim body. It's still not for me, but I like what she did.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »
@Lizzy777 , thank you!  I hadn't seen that review, only the one on Pattern Review.  It looks as if it will be really helpful if I decide to go ahead with this project.  Firstly, I must check to see if I have enough fabric...

The fabric I have in mind is a Twill weight, but not sure of the composition.

This will be only the second coat I have made, so I will have to put my big girl knickers on to tackle it.  My Pauline Alice Coat was a huge learning curve, and a huge time investment, but oh so worth it.

I don't even know why I'm dilly dallying - I really need a raincoat!

Thank you all so much for your comments, it helps to move the project along - or not!

Jessie

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 09:57:31 AM »
@b15erk, the Pauline Alice coat is way more complicated than this Burda and you did a smashing job of that.

I'm still dithering about two coats - lightweight and winter - and none of the patterns I currently have is speaking to me.  :\

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 10:09:33 AM »
Aww thanks @UttaRetch !  That really is kind of you to say...

I think I will trot along and purchase the pattern now!   :thumbsup:  :)

Jessie

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »
I did the Vogue one,  V8884, which turned out really well but the fabric turned out to be as stiff as old board then I put weight on and it was tight.

I had it out last week, still on the stiff side after numerous washes but I do like it better.  I must admit it was very straight forward to do although I didn't go with the belt, not with my waist.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
Well, this is frustrating.  I lifted my fabric out and measured it, I have just shy of 3 yards, which I don't think will be enough...

I can find no information about fabric quantity, so I will have to buy the pattern first, before finding I haven't enough to make the coat!

Hmmph... :facepalm: :S

Jessie