The Sewing Place

Timing ll

Bill

Timing ll
« on: May 19, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »
Morning boys and girls. I hope you can help me...again :\
Using a twin needle I notice that I'm getting some skipped stitches on the right thread. The left is all hunky dory.
Here I'm going through 1mm ish leather and polyester canvas. The needle is a schmetz. Other fabric combos have a similar outcome aaaaaaand to top it off, this happens with a single needle if it's set to the right of the machine.
I have absolutely no idea how to adjust the timing on this thing as it's a top loading bobbin type. Brother innov-is A150.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Efemera

Re: Timing ll
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »
Might be a top tension issue.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
Actually scrap the timing idea, it's perfect for when the needles in the very far left position.

Looking at the stitches themselves, would you say tighter or looser top tension?

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 12:52:09 PM »
Clean, Clean, Clean and change needles if it still happens ... youre on your own .. Sorry!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 13:17:06 PM »
I would try looser... when using twin needles the bobbin thread forms a zigzag so the top tension needs to be a little looser.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 13:19:12 PM »
Could be all sorts of things. 

Bill

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 14:26:51 PM »
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I found out what is was. Com-flippin-puterized sewing machines! I needed to set it to "Twin needle" setting. What this does I have no idea but having put it in that mode, thread tension makes little to no difference as to how well it picks up the tread from the bobbin and I can sew like greased lighting and still end up with good stitches. Sheesh.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 15:57:25 PM »
The twin needle setting only prevents you from using stitches that would be too wide and result in damage.   

Bill

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 23:49:03 PM »
You are of course correct @Ohsewsimple
I often take the first answer that comes along as gospel as I did here.
It seems I just need to keep the needle as far left as possible for it to catch the thread. It's OK for the 4mm but I haven't tested my 6mm twin yet. That could prove troublesome.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 12:13:19 PM »
@Wayfarer you shouldn’t need to do this to get a decent stitch.  It says there is something not right and that could be various things.  Are you using the same thread top and bottom?  What thread (make) are you using?   What make and type of needle are you using?   
Have you followed the instructions for twin needle threading properly as set out in the instruction manual?  Any one of these will have a bearing on how well it sews. 

Bill

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »
Hello @Ohsewsimple
Top and bottom threads are from the same spool of coats moon thread. Schmetz 4mm needle. Followed every instruction to the letter.
I've never had much luck with twin needles  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 13:38:30 PM »
@Wayfarer try using Gutermann polyester thread.  It’s a much better quality thread. Moon thread is thicker.  As for a 6mm needle, I wouldn’t try that if you’re moving needle positions or you will probably hit the presser foot! 

There are different types of twin needles just as there are single needles.  Universal, embroidery, stretch, jersey, jeans.  I’d be inclined to try a jeans needle on the leather as it will go through easier than a universal. 
If this is just for decoration why not just do 2 separate rows of straight stitching?   
I’m personally not a fan of twin needle work but I do have a coverstitch machine so don’t need it :)

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 14:06:37 PM »
It was frustration with my twin needles that led me to buy my coverstitcher!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 15:58:42 PM »
You need a special wedge shaped needle for sewing leather although I don't know if you can get them for a domestic machine with the twin needle function. If you sew a lot with leather it might be worth looking into.

KayK

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 17:13:53 PM »

This may be useful!needles
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well