The Sewing Place

Timing ll

Bill

Re: Timing ll
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 10:12:45 AM »
Thank you all for your replies  :)

@Ohsewsimple I have some Gutterman threads here but not in the right colours. The price of them was eye watering for how much thread is on them!
6mm twin needles are no problem (size wise) for my machine as its adjustable up to 7mm.
I have a set of leather single needles but lately I seem to be unable to sew two lines side by side without mahoosive fluctuations in distance.
I'm poor as a homeless hobbit at the moment so new toys like covertitchers aren't an option, plus, things like covertitchers and overlockers scare the life out of me  :laughing:
It's not perfect, but shoving the needles to the left seems to work...sort of so I'll stick with that till I can figure out what's going on. Its only a month old so still under warranty if it's something covered by that.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

LeilaMay

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2021, 12:46:17 PM »
So - how much did you pay for the sewing machine?
And then balk at paying for a better quality thread?
It's a nonsense I often see here, and I don't get it.

Buy some better thread my love.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »
Oh yeah, straight stitching takes practice.  After over 50 years I can still get a wobbly line.  :laughing: 

@Wayfarer i understand about the cost of Gutermann but that’s because it’s quality thread. 
Using Moon thread will have a bearing on how it stitches in this instance.  It would be one of the first things I checked when someone had a problem with their machine stitching.  I used to demo and sell Brother machines, as well as other makes, until I retired two years ago. 

The default position for the needle on a Brother machine is on the left anyway and I don’t think there are any instructions to change it to centre position when setting up for twin needle stitching.  So unless you absolutely need to that’s where it should be. 

Bill

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 14:22:05 PM »
So - how much did you pay for the sewing machine?
And then balk at paying for a better quality thread?
It's a nonsense I often see here, and I don't get it.

Buy some better thread my love.

Ah but a sewing machine is a one off purchase isn't it? Unless it's your third...like mine is  -<
It might be an option if I ever get good enough to make my own clothes etc but for now, coats moon does the job and is a step up from the cheap rubbish I used on my last machine.
Using expensive bits and bobs needs to be justified.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 14:36:30 PM »
Cheap thread can be an expensive mistake as it produces a lot of lint and can wreck your machine. 
Seen it many many times!

dolcevita

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 15:19:05 PM »
I used Moon thread a lot, but I don't often use it for topstitching as it's quite fluffy and doesn't produce as clean a finish as the more expensive threads. My Pfaff QE 4.2 has no problems sewing with it, it's purely a matter of aesthetics, which is what topstitching is mainly about. For the same reason, if I'm sewing silk, I will use silk thread for topstiching to match the lustre of the fibre in the main fabric.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 15:31:13 PM »
I would just say use good thread if the seam is going to be under any pressure. 

I recently repaired a hole in one of the dresses I made for the littlest goddaughter - a hole in the fabric - but as I was checking it over I noticed a couple of seams were coming adrift where the thread had broken.  It was an unusual colour, and I had used one of the non-named threads that came free with one of my sewing machines rather than waiting to get a better one.   :scream:  I won't be doing that again!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 15:53:44 PM »
I totally agree with @LeilaMay  My Brother Innovis 1800q cost me a lot of money. It hates cheap thread. It's not only false economy but makes for a troublesome machine. Buy some decent thread please, for your sanity
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bill

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 19:57:14 PM »
I thought coats moon was a good thread? That's what I'd read on tinterweb anyway. Not so?
Other than Gutterman, can anyone point me to a reputable thread? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 22:19:39 PM »
Aurifill, King Tut.....
Triumph of hope over experience :D

LeilaMay

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »
Ah but a sewing machine is a one off purchase isn't it? Unless it's your third...like mine is  -<
It might be an option if I ever get good enough to make my own clothes etc but for now, coats moon does the job and is a step up from the cheap rubbish I used on my last machine.
Using expensive bits and bobs needs to be justified.

Very politely - I have to totally disagree with you. You make a really quality finished product by use of quality ingredients, not a hugely expensive bit of kit.

Use a cooking analogy (seeing as cookers and recipes seem topical on the forum right now) - you can make a glorious meal in very basic good quality pans IF you use great ingredients. But no amount of fancy pans or kitchen kit will turn second rate ingredients into a great meal.

You can make wonderful stitched items on basic machines if you use wonderful materials, and that would include good design and great thread, zips whatever.

The very expensive machine is the last bit of kit to buy, not the first, and won't make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Too many people have been sucked into the "buy this expensive machine and you'll be able to make better stuff" rabbit hole I think. And then speak - even here - about how they don't use all the fancy functions, prefer their simpler and smaller machines, and are going to sell the white elephant.

But enjoy - I hope you get it sorted and working just as you want it.

Bill

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
You make very good points and I have to agree with you on them.
I have to admit, I was(am) one of the suckered ones believing a great machine would improve my sewing. It did a little, but as you say, owning a rocket doesn't make me an astronaut.
 :\