The Sewing Place

Thread troubleshooting

Deafoldbat

Thread troubleshooting
« on: May 21, 2021, 19:32:17 PM »
https://auribuzz.com/2020/05/08/thread-troubleshooting/

Mostly common sense, and of course plugging Aurifil threads (nowt wrong wi' that).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 19:33:54 PM by Deafoldbat »

Esme866

Re: Thread troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
I use the heavy mug set behind my machine for coned thread,  but I have a standard vertical thread post. So I folded a small piece of wool felt and pinned it closed with a safety pin. Then I slip the wool onto the thread post with the round end of the safety pin to the top. It makes a perfect thread feed.

I did like the looks of the horizontal contraption on the featherweight. Anyone know if the mounting bracket is universal? Anyone used one?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 13:44:03 PM »
@Esme866 the Featherweight adapter is small to fit the metal post.  It is too small for modern machines like my Pfaff.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 23:38:17 PM »
@Esme866   Update. Tried it on my old Bernina.  It will sit on the thread post but not snugly, it swivels.  No good on any of my modern machines, they all have plastic posts which have to be thicker.

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 06:17:33 AM »
@toileandtrouble. Sounds like I'd need to compare my post to a FW's. My Main machine has a metal holder - or I can keep using standard spools and cones -probably easier.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »
@Esme866  Sorry, it was midnight when I had the inspiration to get the Bernina out and try it.  What I actually did was sit it on the under pin, which is smaller. 
When I woke up, I realised and went to try it on the proper tall pin that sits on top.  The adapter slides on to that on but still a bit loose, but stops just before coming out of the tapered end.  It would probably fit snugly if I forced it that last mm. but I didn't want to break it. It is supposed to go on the post tapered end first.
I would measure the Featherweight post for you but I don't have calipers that accurate - it is only a squeak.