The Sewing Place

Pattern Sales Ain't Wot They Used to Be!

Bertha Badger

Pattern Sales Ain't Wot They Used to Be!
« on: May 21, 2021, 20:28:39 PM »
Got the latest pattern sale email from Jaycott's. If you're into sewing Cosplay stuff fill your boots! Pattern sales used to be across the entire range of the individual brand but it seems these days that it's only small portion of patterns on sale. Am I missing something? Any idea why the sales seem to be so meagre?

Esme866

Re: Pattern Sales Ain't Wot They Used to Be!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 05:04:41 AM »
Sales have been becoming fewer and less discounted here, too.

It is however understandable. Not too many years ago, I could purchase Vogue patterns for $5.95 each and Simplicitys 5 for $5. Buying new patterns usually meant adding to the stash of fabrics for most of us, right? But these days, there is only one poor quality fabric retailer in business thruout most of the US. When we had 10 or 12 stores within a 20 minute drive - this particular chain was my least favorite and most expensive. Other than a few of us old farts, no one is stashing any longer, even cosplayers have little need to stash. The only people stashing are darksiders - and they don't buy garment patterns!

So there has to be a viable markup on patterns. Although as one company owns everything now here in the states - even though laws against monopolies are still on the books - online purchasing is their only competition.

Without Covid, retailers were in serious trouble - so now what?

Here in the states, one answer in most stores is complete destruction of any recognizable shopping layout. The retailers actually believe we will impulse buy if forced to spend twice the amount of time shopping for what we came for.

Clothing stores no longer place plus sized clothing in one area - items are mixed in with regular Misses size clothing - the majority of which are not available in plus sizes. Boy oh boy, that's so much fun I just leave and do without.

I've shopped at Aldi's since they first opened here 15+ years ago. I LOVED being able to write my weekly list according to the store layout and be at the register 20 minutes after I entered the store. This usually included a few minutes to peruse the "special deal" shelves and the seasonal food specialties. But NO MORE!  For the past 2 months, the store is rearranged to some degree every time I enter. It's so bad on Wed evening I had a choice of Boston, romaine, or micro-leaf lettuces. My parents want iceberg. So I made do with Boston, knowing I could stop in the next evening for iceberg. But on Thursday -still no iceberg - until I spotted 2 cases on a stock cart and told the clerk I was grabbing one, he said no problem and then pointed out the new "official" location of iceberg lettuce that everyone was missing - in between oranges and lemons on the next aisle!

Last week at another store I grabbed mayo and took a few steps to look for the mustard I was out of.  No, no, no, no, no, I was forced to hunt down the new aisle and location for mustard. Happy I wasn't out of ketchup because I never saw it.

Nope. I'm afraid we're in for higher prices, unpleasant shopping experiences, no customer service and increasingly corrupt business practices for quite sometime to come - while retailers find their new footing - if they ever do.

BTW- my mustard was "on sale" for 40% more than its regular price this time last year.

jen

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 06:20:45 AM »
@Esme866 Had to smile at your layout change gripe. It’s been hitting my little town here too. The biggest supermarket is having an extension built, good luck chasing down your goods in the constantly changing melee. Aldi keeps getting hit with shortages, and randomly changing round the shelves - why?
When I first moved here we had a fabric store. It closed when the owner retired. Sadly nobody took it over.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 09:41:10 AM »
I had the Jaycotts email too. The thing that stuck out to me was them telling you to buy now before the increase on Pattern prices..... Heavens above, anymore increases and no one will be buying them at all!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:57:19 AM »
I quite enjoyed the one Sew Direct had a couple of weeks ago with 50% off, although with all of them I think they are selective what goes on sale, and sometimes the one you want suddenly appears as out of stock.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included