The Sewing Place

RJR's Inaugural BOOM 2021

RJR_38

Re: RJR's Inaugural BOOM 2021
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2021, 15:40:11 PM »
My blocks have arrived :dance: :dance:

There are ten of them, I was expecting nine!  Either I make two more or will have to use on the back :thinking:

someone did you an extra one Brenda… can’t remember who now will have to trawl back though the thread…  :thinking:

RJR_38

« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2021, 15:41:50 PM »
The postman came… and left a card.  I was in. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Oh no!!! They’re not even supposed to be doing signatures etc any more - I only did that so it can be tracked more easily at the moment and so it was insured!!

BrendaP

« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2021, 18:16:43 PM »
someone did you an extra one Brenda… can’t remember who now will have to trawl back though the thread…  :thinking:

@RJR_38 I have been back through the thread and looked at all the pics posted - and I have three unidentified blocks - my bad by not labelling them as I opened the packet.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Three lovely blocks - please own up if you recognise your work.  I would like to be able mark/ID the blocks in some way.  With the friendship quilt made with the old forum I made the centre block and embroidered the names onto that making sure that each block was closest to the maker's name.  I might have to think of something different this time.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The contributers were: Iminei, Fabric Foosie, Efemera, Ellabella, Sakar, Sheilago, Quilty Sisty and Lowena.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

RJR_38

« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
@BrendaP blocks 1 and 2 are by whofilets who emailed me her pics for the website

https://sewingplaceboom.weebly.com/ I’m not sure about the 3rd one  :thinking:

If I get time amongst sisters wedding prep today I will transfer the last of the pics from this thread to the website

BrendaP

« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »
Thank you @RJR_38  Own up, who made that lovely block on the right?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Pearl

« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »
Woo hoo!  I’m back from the Post Office with my beautiful blocks.  Thank you all so much.  They are gorgeous.   :dance: :dance: :dance:

RJR_38

« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2021, 21:21:01 PM »
Woo hoo!  I’m back from the Post Office with my beautiful blocks.  Thank you all so much.  They are gorgeous.   :dance: :dance: :dance:

Sorry to make you trek to the post office! But at least they arrived safely..

Catllar

« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
My blocks arrived today - they are fab - so bright and cheerful.  I thinks they will need sashing to give them some space. I've got them on the design wall so they can mature for a while!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

RJR_38

« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2021, 04:49:21 AM »
I’m pleased they have arrived! Has everyone else got theirs?

Catllar

« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2021, 14:47:21 PM »
Have chosen sashing and ordered it - Kaufman Kona Rainbow bright jelly roll. I might chose a different colour for each bit of sash and I had enough bits returned to me to cut corner squares.

I found it on Amazon.com but thought I'd rather get it from Amazonfr.  It was twice the price on.fr!!!! WTF????? Ordered it from US so will be interesting to see if there is any additional tax to pay.  Ad says no, but who knows.

fajita

« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2021, 15:40:30 PM »
I’ve sashed mine and am in the process of quilting. Hoping I don’t run out of quilting thread.

RJR_38

« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2021, 21:54:06 PM »
Have chosen sashing and ordered it - Kaufman Kona Rainbow bright jelly roll. I might chose a different colour for each bit of sash and I had enough bits returned to me to cut corner squares.

I found it on Amazon.com but thought I'd rather get it from Amazonfr.  It was twice the price on.fr!!!! WTF????? Ordered it from US so will be interesting to see if there is any additional tax to pay.  Ad says no, but who knows.

I’ve bought a few bits from Amazon.com rather than .co.uk because of cost reasons (even with high shipping costs from US). I’ve never had to pay anything extra although it has always low-mid priced things under £50

Catllar

« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2021, 13:21:39 PM »
I’ve bought a few bits from Amazon.com rather than .co.uk because of cost reasons (even with high shipping costs from US). I’ve never had to pay anything extra although it has always low-mid priced things under £50

Ah yes, I forgot about the 50 pound price bar.

BrendaP

« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2021, 22:29:02 PM »
I've not done anything with mine yet other than shuffle them around and stroke them.  The main reason is that I want to put them on point and I need to get fabric for the setting triangles etc and that means going into Rochester to actually see what colours they have.  Ideally I want a very pale sage green - I think!

whofilets

« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2021, 23:56:35 PM »
@BrendaP I think I did all three! You were one of my doubles, so I made you two, and then I guess I made a third? :D I know I own that red fabric, and it's at least a decade old- probably older- so I don't think it's very common any more! I'm glad you like them. They were so fun to make.

@fajita I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion and say I liked the light-bordered block in the middle. But the bright yellow center flower-like block does make a lot of sense in the middle! I made that block and really enjoyed it coming together. I want my own quilt of yellow-centered blocks now!

I got all my blocks so quickly, bought new batting the next day, wanting to make my blocks into a quilt right away. Then realized with my own-made blocks I had 11 blocks. If I made one more I could get a nice 3x4 layout.
So I went online looking for a fun block and found a paper piecing pattern for a rocket! I bought that, and decided to practice the pattern as I have a limited amount of my feature fabric left. I practiced using some avocado themed fabric I bought for a friend who is expecting a baby girl and loves outer space and her pregnancy craving is avocados....
Well before I knew it, my practice block turned into some improv patchwork, adding bits here and there, and it's quickly grown into a throw quilt that I honestly wasn't expecting. So when THAT is done I'll go back to the rocket block, buy new batting, and get my boom blocks laid out again
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me