The Sewing Place

Quilt binding with or diagonal to grain (edited for clarity)

Flobear

I have been very good and done a search but 'binding' returns a lot of results so I think it's quicker just to ask a question that has probably been answered somewhere - for which apols.

Very taken with some binding I saw that happened to have diagonal stripes  ;) I bought some lovely striped fabric but they aren't diagonal. Simple solution, cut crossway strips (thanks for the practice all those years ago Sister Mary Joseph  :ninja: )  However, as a newish Darksider, still sporting the green P plate on my quilting hat, I am wondering if crossway strips are a bad idea for quilts for any reason.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 18:08:59 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

Re: Quilt binding with or across grain
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 14:18:14 PM »
I am not an expert, but I think it is likely that they won't lie very straight - they'll wave.  There may be a way of making them behave though, so best to wait for someone else to comment!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 14:21:57 PM »
Presumably you mean bias as opposed to crosswise grain?  I think the only reason quilt binding is cut on the grain is that quilts generally have straight edges so don't need the bias stretch.
I think you would have to pin bias strips well if you were machining rather than hand sewing it down as I imagine it might be prone to creeping a bit.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 15:01:17 PM »
I think it would need to be 'on the cross' if I wanted the stripes at 45° to the quilt edge. I've always called these 'crossways strips' and by mixing it up with 'crosswise' I might be causing confusion!! Especially to one who has a weaving inclination  :P

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 15:03:02 PM »
Creep!!....... The binding, not you  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 15:19:32 PM »
 :laughing: :laughing:

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 17:27:21 PM »
I love a striped binding, but I’ve never cut it on the diagonal. I think it might well warp a bit and  be tricky to handle. I’m sure someone more expert than me will be able to advise you better. If you’re really determined to do it maybe a very light iron on interfacing might help to stabilise it. See what the experts say!

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 17:42:42 PM »
@Ploshkin is right - the only reason for not using bias strips is that quilts are usually straight edged. If you make a scalloped edge quilt, or something similar, then you would use bias strips to bind it around the curves. I've never used bias strips on a normal, rectangular quilt but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use it, as long as you are careful to pin as you go in order to avoid any creeping. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 17:53:05 PM »
Some quilters always use bias cut for binding... they say it’s harder wearing that way. Don’t know how true that is.

Flobear

Re: Quilt binding with or diagonal to grain (edited for clarity)
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 18:12:38 PM »
@Efemera that confirms something that I thought I'd read quite a while ago - that some quilters claim that a diagonally cut binding is harder wearing.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 18:45:09 PM »
@BrendaP  ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 18:51:25 PM »
No expert but for a quilt that's going to get wear I always cut binding on the bias.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 19:11:03 PM »
Before you commit to diagonal stripes and bias cutting, consider how you are going to deal with the corners.

Stripes vertical to the edge will mitre quite tidily whichever method you use - seam or folded round - they will square up. Stripes on the diagonal will look different - you'll get a 'T' shape at the corner - assuming they slope the same way all the way round. You may prefer to slightly round the corners to avoid this, Once you're happy with your decision, do what you want. In my experience bias cut doesn't wear any different from straight cut, but do pin it carefully,
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 19:12:36 PM by Deafoldbat »

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 19:16:20 PM »
@Catllar, many thanks. Do you have any useful experience to offer when using binding cut on the bias?
@Deafoldbat thank you for the thoughts about managing the corners  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 21:26:44 PM »
I agree with the others about a bias cut binding not being stable and you'd most likely end up with wavy sides that are supposed to be straight.  Only cut the binding on the bias if you have scalloped edges on the quilt.

As for wearing better or not logic tells me that if you are using fabric where the warp and weft threads are much the same (as is the case with most quilting fabrics) it won't make any difference, but if the warp threads are significantly stronger than the (softer) weft threads then cutting on the bias gives you a bit of both warp and weft wrapping around the edge.  Cutting lengthways, with the warps, will make the weaker wefts wrap around the edge and won't wear as well as cutting width of fabric so that it's the stronger warps that wrap around the edge.

If you want diagonal stripes on a straight binding look for fabric with printed stripes.  @Iminei so you have photos of the quilt that some of us made for @Cheesecake 's baby Lisle a couple of years ago?  That was bound with diagonally printed fabric.  I have a photo of the fabric but not of the bound quilt.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Linky
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 17:16:44 PM by Iminei »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.