The Sewing Place

Quilt binding with or diagonal to grain (edited for clarity)

Acorn

Re: Quilt binding with or diagonal to grain (edited for clarity)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 21:30:09 PM »
I'm learning that if I ever see diagonally striped fabric in colours that I might conceivably one day want to use to bind a quilt, I should buy plenty of it.   :laughing:  That is gorgeous fabric @BrendaP .

@Flobear You could always scallop the edges of your quilt...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 22:08:13 PM »
Scallops @Acorn  :faints:  I can't manage proper straight lines reliably  :o

That looks the very thing @BrendaP . I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for a diagonal print which will turn up one day when I'm looking for something completely different!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 22:11:39 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Efemera

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
There’s no quilt police... you can cut your fabric how you wish @Flobear I've used bias with no noticeable difference

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 13:48:30 PM »
There’s no quilt police... you can cut your fabric how you wish @Flobear I've used bias with no noticeable difference

So you're not biased in favour of straight grain, nor...  I'll get me coat.

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 14:30:26 PM »
Enough now  @Flobear ! Or you'll end up in @Acorn s shed with the Quilt Police....and they'll tell you more about bias binding than you'll ever need to know! :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

RJR_38

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 07:10:41 AM »
@Flobear I’ve used bias cut binding a lot in quilts (to get the stripes!). I learnt all my quilting skills from American forums where lots of them only use bias binding because it is harder wearing. I did watch a video on this once where they ‘scientifically’ showed you why this is the case. Basically because on the very outer edge, straight cut binding will only have a couple of threads taking the strain while bias has multiple ‘wrapped over’ the outer edge. They finished off by saying that this is only really going to notice if it is a quilt for a child that will need lots of washing or if you want it to be a heirloom piece - otherwise you may as well do straight edge.

Anyway, to use bias binding my tips are:

Clip in place - a lot! I tend to clip about a side and half at a time, stitch this on then clip the next bit and so on.

Use of a walking foot will be essential

Sadly trying to machine stitch both sides of the binding down has never worked neatly for me with bias binding so you will need to hand stitch the back (not for everyone).

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
Thank you for that experience and information @RJR_38. I almost always hand-stitch the back of the binding whether light or dark siding because I find it a pain to get it perfectly lined up and end up have to tack it carefully in place - so might as well just hand-stitch.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:40:24 AM by Flobear »

Kenora

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »
I always hand stitch the back of my binding. I just don't like the look of machined binding, whether straight stitch or decorative. Imho hand stitching is so much neater and I find it quite therapeutic. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »
Same here - and I like to have some hand sewing to do in the evenings.  I can never get the front and the back to look good if I do it by machine - it's one or the other!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 13:03:37 PM »
Same here
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Flobear

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2021, 14:40:37 PM »
Well now that my new backing fabric has arrived, I should be able to finish the back and get sandwiching this week. Then bias binding here we come!

All this bother for a 21" quilt for the dog's spot on the sofa  ;)