The Sewing Place

Rule breakers

sewingj

Rule breakers
« on: May 25, 2021, 07:51:31 AM »
If a member unwittingly breaks one of the forum rules why are they not reminded of this by means of a personal message?

It appears that we have now lost Charley because of the very public - and in my opinion heavy handed - way that she was reprimanded yesterday

I agree totally that the forum needs rules, but they are not always on our minds when we "chat" and it is inevitable that occasionally we make mistakes

StitchinTime

Re: Rule breakers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:24:59 AM »
I was surprised to see the message from the Admin team yesterday and I did wonder if it had posted in error and was meant to be a personal message.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 08:30:19 AM »
That's a shame. I agree a pm would have been far preferable.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 09:02:30 AM »
If we were to leave a comment that breaks our rules without formal response anyone reading the forum would assume it was OK to post in that way.

The Mod and Admins discuss an infringement and then decide how best to proceed - we don't do anything hastily or lightly. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
I have both admiration and appreciation for all the work - often thankless - that mods and admins do behind the scenes. Perhaps an alternative could be to let the person know privately for a 'first offence' and take the offending post down so others don't read and think it's OK.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »
But if we did that @Flobear, the offending post would still be visible and, to all intents and purposes unremarked upon ..

If I wrote ....

Frances entry was awful, and I am not surprised that no one else liked it. It made my night that the French now realise that the ordinary people of Europe do not like them or their awful governments total feeling of superiority to everyone else in Europe.

There would be a riot, and accusations of xenophobia .... so why can we not stand up for the country we actually live in.

Please note that the above highlighted paragraph does not represent my feelings one way or the other ...  it is being used primarily as an example
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bill

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
No idea what's happened here nor is it any of my business, buuuuuuut, do the admins not have the power/tech know how to edit or delete posts that bend/break/manipulate the rules? That and a pm to the offender is often how admin deal with less than polite posts on the cycling forums I visit.
Just an idea  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »
By the time Charley was issued with an official warning she had already been reprimanded twice by members of the team. Surely that was over the top?

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
Heavy handed and totally unnecessary...
A private word and the post removed should have been enough.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 12:15:04 PM »
Those were posts made by members, and very clearly not official.

It is extremely bad form to remove or edit posts, not least because that would leave no evidence whatsoever that anything had happened.  If members are not prepared to stand by what they post they should not post it.  We are not babysitters.  The only time we remove anything from posts is when the post is a duplicate, the content is potentially libellous or otherwise illegal, or when the member asks us to.

Finally, remember this from the Membership Agreement?  "5. The admins have given the moderators free rein to control content and will support their decisions.  It is not good form to complain publicly about moderation."  You have no idea what has been discussed by the Admin and Moderation team.  If you want people to take on the onerous and often horrible task of running the forums, it would be good to bear this in mind and show the team some courtesy.  Otherwise you may find that there is no forum here at all.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »
No lessons were learnt from the departure of Ravingdoll or Manuela.  There has to be a better way of dealing with transgessions of the rules other than a public dressing down.

If you want people to take on the onerous and often horrible task of running the forums, it would be good to bear this in mind and show the team some courtesy.  Otherwise you may find that there is no forum here at all.

The forum was running fine without moderation and I was against it.  I have left more fora than I can count on two hands and this will leave this without a backward glance when the time comes.  :angry:

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 12:40:51 PM »
You’re right we have no idea what has been discussed and how decisions are reached but I still think it was heavy handed and quite humiliating. I’m not in any way agreeing with what was said and it is against the rules but if  it’s not good form to complain publicly about the mods then it shouldn’t be good form to reprimand folks publicly either.

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
Those were posts made by members, and very clearly not official.

As those posts were made by an administrator and a global moderator, I don’t think it was very clear that they were not official. I had assumed the posts were, in effect, unofficial warnings.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 13:03:26 PM »
Why would you assume that, @StitchinTime  ? We have an admin account for official posts, which have been generated after much careful discussion. Hope this clears up any lingering misunderstanding  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 13:12:27 PM »
Maybe the post should have been removed and a message sent to the author explaining why. This used to happen frequently, and I was guilty a few times, when I was a member of the BBC's Radio 2 message boards both chat, and news and current affairs which got fairly lively at times as you would imagine.

If your post was removed you would be annoyed a bit but it wasn't the end of the world!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55