The Sewing Place

Project Linus Quiltalongathon

Iminei

Re: Project Linus Quiltalongathon
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 05:35:12 AM »
June is running out and I wondered how we  are all doing with our ANIMAL themed PL quilts ??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »
'Not' is the answer here.  I'm still can't get to my sewing machine and no word from the decorator.
Life's too short for ironing.

twopence

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 09:21:30 AM »
Are we allowed to enter if we made it last year during the first lockdown?

Starryfish

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 17:48:34 PM »
I'm just putting the border on my effort. I have learnt a lot about accuracy and cutting in the process of making it. I must buy a patchwork foot for the next time.

It should be done by July.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
Oh yes ... they really make a difference! Do get one!

I know you can use a normal foot with your needle set to the right position or a wedge of post it notes stuck on the bed of your machine but my Darkside efforts improved dramatically after I gained a Quilting set for my birthday (I think it was my 50th) ....

Out of the quilting set I use the 1/4" foot and the open toed applique foot all the time but almost never use the Stitch in the Ditch foot.

I also use the open toed walking foot that came with my original set all the time, even tho' I have an IDT affair on The Splurgess ... The IDT button blanks out a lot of the decorative stitches which can be so useful when quilting.

Kenora

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2021, 18:11:55 PM »
All I can say is I definitely won't finish my quilt in time. I had high hopes of being able to but a certain four-legged feline has completely changed my life - temporarily, I trust. :)

We adopted her 8 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were fine - she was kept in so I sewed my quilt top. Then I started supervising her on visits out into the garden. She was terrified by everything. If somebody dared to cough in the next door garden - she jumped feet. So now I'm a guardian/lookout/cat carer for a nervous and stressed cat on her twice-daily excursions into the great outdoors. This takes lots and lots of time. Even when we're indoors she follows me around, yowling plaintively, so my time is not my own. This was not what I signed up for, but she's lovely so I need to put in the effort for her.

I haven't done any sewing at all for a month. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to it at some stage but have no idea when.  :(  I will definitely finish the quilt and will send it to PL but it probably won't be for months yet.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

LouiseS

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2021, 19:41:07 PM »
I finished mine last summer but have put it in the wash and taken photos.
I ran out of the blue fabric so used offcuts to make a pattern on the back.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:31:04 AM by Iminei »

Sheilago

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »
Here is my ‘ Counting sheep’ quilt for PL. It is a scrappy quilt, but every block has a sheep somewhere and I even had a little bit of sheepy fleece to patch into the back :D. Hopefully it will help some wee person somewhere to doze off comfortably.

Are you going to FOQ , @Iminei ? I know @Kitten also offered, so once I know it’s all definitely happening I’ll get it posted off to whoever is   kind enough to take it for me.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:30:46 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »
Are there just Three Quilts for Project Linus then ?????

@Sheilago @LouiseS @Ploshkin  ????

@Kenora  is yours close to being finished???

Ploshkin

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2021, 09:55:33 AM »
I'm afraid mine is still in the state previously pictured.  I have managed to unearth my sewing machine but just haven't had any time to actually sit and sew anything apart from the hem on the bat mat which had come undone.
The summer is not traditionally my sewing time as there is so much to do outside.  If my stuff hadn't all been packed away it would have got finished months ago.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
I'm hoping to have mine finished
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2021, 10:52:33 AM »
I haven't even finished piecing the top unfortunately.  :S

twopence

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
There’s mine @Iminei   I finished it last year. I’ll take some photos and post them.

Starryfish

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2021, 19:59:08 PM »
This is my first real quilt, I made it from Makower animal life fabrics. It's a QAYG effort and taught me a lot about accurate cutting and sewing!

I have a lot to learn!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 04:52:25 AM by Iminei »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Kenora

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2021, 20:54:32 PM »
I haven't been able to find time to sew for the last month, but I thought I'd take a couple of photos of what my finished quilt should look like once it's done. I had great ideas for colour combinations in my head, but now I've laid it out on the bed - only the individual D9P blocks are sewn together, nothing else - I'm not so sure I like it, but it's too late now. -<

I was intending to add an extra orange striped border in between the navy one and the outer turquoise chevron one, but it just didn't look right. The chevron border will also be mitred (if I can remember how to do it  :) ).The binding will probably be plain navy.

The backing fabric doesn't show up in the photo very well. It's a medium/light grey with a yellow feather design. It's much nicer in real life. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:59:32 AM by Iminei »