The Sewing Place

rotary cutter

Esme866

Re: rotary cutter
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2021, 08:00:51 AM »
I've used scissors since I was a child, so accuracy is not a problem. A few years back, I finally invested in Kai 9-1/2" Dressmakers shears and received comparable Ginghers as a gift two weeks later. So happy I have both! They each cut differently and use my hand muscles differently and place pressure on my arthritic fingers differently - so switching between the two is so helpful.

I helped my niece cut out her first pattern made dress with rotary cutters as the fabric she chose was the slipperyest I'd ever dealt with. I also bought a small rotary cutter and small mat just for trimming thrift store silk neckties into hongkong binding strips.  Other than that, cutting an entire garment with a rotary would definitely irritate my carpal tunnel. (When forced to use one of those newer styled veg peelers with the blade perpendicular to the handle, my carpal tunnel is screaming halfway thru my first potato - I switch to a paring knife.)

As for notches, I don't cut them at all. I use my conté pencil (chalk) and mark them. If I think the chalk won't hold on a fabric, I use a felt tip and just make dots.

If I were to ever take up quilting, I'd definitely use a rotary. Cutting straight against a straight edge doesn't bother my carpal tunnel, but stretching my arm and free handing a curve is really uncomfortable.

Vezelay

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2021, 08:05:54 AM »
Another rotary cutter fan here, 100%, for garments, bags, anything. I have three. My shears barely see the light of day. 1/8" snips for notches only if they're really necessary, minimum number of weights.

My sewing instructor (decades in the industry) swore by scissors but I found her method too time-consuming - all that pinning! It felt like so much unnecessary effort. My cutting table is only 80% covered with mat and DH was asking me what I'd like for my imminent big birthday......so there's a thought  :).

jen

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2021, 08:08:59 AM »
Scissors. I tried RC but it blunts so quickly - what a pain! I had some electric shears which were great, but gave up the ghost.

whofilets

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2021, 15:00:09 PM »
I don't pin my patterns. I use weights and trace all around the patterns onto the fabric and then pick it up and use scissors to cut it out.  If i had the space (and budget) for a big mat and small rotary cutter i might try it. I have two smallish mats and rotary cutters for quilting/patchwork.

I was cutting both outside and inside notches... Kind of on a whim. Mostly outside though, to preserve seam allowances as I'm really not confident in my lining up and fitting skills.  I'm gonna try the felt tip and marking in the seam allowance next, though!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 23:32:23 PM by whofilets »
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

jen

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2021, 05:32:45 AM »
Notches- those on the edge I mark by taking a small snip into the seam allowances at right angles. Inner markings I make by pushing a lace pin through the tissue into both layers of fabric, and when the tissue is eased off the tiny pin head either chalking where the pins sit or putting a lace pin in each layer to mark the place. This is mainly for dart points. All of this depends on the fabric a bit of course, as well as the complications of the pattern. A loose weave tweed needs a different technique.

Esme866

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2021, 06:41:25 AM »
@whofilets

I also use weights and chalk instead of pins. As I have to draft everything myself, I use craft paper which doesn't pin well at all.

Boppingbeth

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2021, 17:17:44 PM »
I have a mat the size of my cutting table so more often than not I use the rotary cutter to cut things. I am more accurate with the rc than with scissors most of the time, and with the tendinitis in my hands I can struggle with scissors.

Tiggy

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2021, 16:40:30 PM »
I use scissors because I struggle to use a rotary cutter.  I can’t keep it against the ruler and it wanders off the straight and narrow.  I do use it to cut bias bindings but frequently switch back to my big Fiskars, especially if the rotary develops a notch in the blade and misses bits.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Seaview

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2021, 07:29:19 AM »
I only started sewing garments last year and have been using a rotary cutter mainly.

I also use a spare rotary cutter to cut out traced off pattern pieces and it’s where I use my used cutter blades when no longer OK for fabric cutting.