The Sewing Place

Ruffles

Lemon Syllabub

Ruffles
« on: May 25, 2021, 17:14:43 PM »
Ruffles seem to be everywhere at the moment. I’m not really a flouncy type but I found this pattern with its very subtle ‘ruffly cuffs’.

I don’t need another shirt pattern and I thought the frills would be easy to add to a pattern I already own. I watched this video to double check how to do them. The commentary is in French but the visuals are very easy to follow. Sewing the cuffs starts at 33.46 if anyone wants a peek.

Here’s one of my finished cuffs….
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I am wearing the shirt whilst taking the photo so apologies for the strange angle.   :rolleyes:

The cuffs feel very 1970’s and I quite like them.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Ruffles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 17:21:24 PM »
Very 70's I agree.  Been there done that. I think I would look ridiculous in them nowadays.  -<

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 17:21:48 PM »
And a very nice ruffle it is!  Also that’s lovely top stitching, says she who has just made a right pig’s ear of some top stitching on a blouse.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 17:22:20 PM »
What a great idea.  I like the idea of ruffles down the princess seam  but I don't need any more bulk in the middle. Or would it be a slimming vertical line?   I'm too old for a lot of ruffles on skirts but this looks very wearable.  Thank you!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 17:26:10 PM »
I think they look lovely @Lemon Syllabub!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 21:16:04 PM »
They're lovely, very subtle ruffles!  You've made a great job of them too.

jen

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 06:00:11 AM »
Nice ruffles and an idea to bookmark if the sleeves turn out a bit shorter than planned  :D

Diane

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 18:42:51 PM »
I love the fabric and the ruffle looks great, never seen that before
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 19:01:42 PM »
Great ruffles! There are a few 'ruffly' shirt patterns about. I need to try some of them.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »
Pretty fabric too!  I'm definitely not a ruffle girl (am hating all the wafty prairie dresses that seem to be around - been there, done that way too long ago).  But I like the subtle simplicity of your cuff, @Lemon Syllabub  .

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 08:38:15 AM »
Ruffles are like hens' teeth in my wardrobe, but I do love a fancy cuff. I don't have many but I do have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to interesting cuffs, many of which are just waiting for the right blouse to come along.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »
I'm quite drawn to the prairie dresses as they remind me of my Laura Ashley youth though, as I've said before, maybe looking like milkmaid in your 60s requires some thought  :laughing:
I downloaded a blouse pattern from the free pattern day at FibreMoods - a kind person here pointed it out to us. My pattern has a frill and I see they have a few other patterns with an edgy style and some frills. The pattern printed out quite easily as you can just print one (or more) size and it went together quite quickly.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
I am not a ruffly person but I do like those cuffs, just enough frill without being too girly and the fabric pattern is just right. A clever idea, well done.
Still learning

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 15:13:37 PM »
Thanks very much for this @Lemon Syllabub - I'm trying to copy a top from a picture, and it has sleeves with just this sort of ruffle.  They're elbow length and not buttoned cuffs - they go all the way around - so not exactly the same, but the basic structure is exactly what I need.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.