The Sewing Place

Cutter brush...

Bill

Cutter brush...
« on: May 26, 2021, 00:39:00 AM »
I need a new one...if that's what it's called.
Stupidly, I thought it was a big lump of fluff the other week and pulled it out with tweezers then binned it. Since then when I've used the automatic thread cutter, my fabric sticks in the needle plate and needs a bit of a yank to pull it free. I've determined that the fluff was a brush designed to stop the thread disappearing into said cutter slider thingymibob.
Here's where it goes (where the red fluff is)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
And here's what it looks like

So, to my question. The machine is a Brother innov-is A150 and I wonder if anyone here knows where I can find a spare? I'm not having much luck myself.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

fajita

Re: Cutter brush...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:49 AM »
This from a quick google search. I have no idea what the company is like.

https://coulingsewingmachines.co.uk/janome-mb4-mb-4-thread-cutter-catcher-brush-strip-770216009/

Bill

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 12:08:38 PM »
Brilliant!
Thank you @fajita  <3

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 15:14:38 PM »
@Puzzler  ..... Ooops! hehehehhehehe
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

KayK

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 15:28:57 PM »
Couling sewing machines are pretty good - I have used them previously for the odds and sods that cant seem to be found anywhere else!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 16:34:28 PM »
Stupidly, I thought it was a big lump of fluff the other week and pulled it out with tweezers then binned it.

Yup. Been there, did that. The sewing machine repairman put a new one on for me.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 19:26:17 PM »
It's been ordered and dispatched already.
As usual, I'd be lost without the members of this forum  :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 20:21:04 PM »
I once pulled out - really carefully with tweezers, all the red fluff next to a bobbin case, and then found it was the felt V for oiling. Live and learn  :)

Bill

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 14:46:38 PM »
I think it's related but the brush was replaced today.
This started happening. Both on coats moon (white) and Gutterman (red).
Has anyone else had this? I'm on the verge of murdering this machine if anything else goes wrong with it.

The needles were also swapped around.

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 11:47:00 AM »
If you were using an old machine I'd ask if it was top threaded correctly?

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 13:23:59 PM »
Is this happening all the time or only if you’ve the cutter immediately prior to starting sewing?
If you’ve used the cutter prior to sewing, is there a tail end of the top thread to hold when you start sewing again?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 14:35:36 PM »
Doesn’t look like there is anything wrong with the stitching.  If you have replaced the brush with the one suggested on here it might not fit.  It’s a  Janome  not a Brother.

Bill

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 16:00:33 PM »
@LeilaMay yep all threaded properly.

@StitchinTime it's all the time. I've tried to see if there's any difference after pulling the threads up like you would on most machines but it has the same result. The manual states that the machine can sew without pulling up the bobbin thread and indeed prior to the brush replacement, it was doing that quite well.

@Ohsewsimple the first 3-4 stitches are ridiculously loose but after that they're fine.
The cutter is also now playing up again.
The brushes delivered had a wider sticky base than the originals but even cutting them to size hasn't improved things. The actual bristle lengths are the same.

Been onto 3 different mechanics.
No answer so far from the first (assuming they'll contact me on Monday or Tuesday)
Second mechanics number was given to me by the owner of a fabric shop. He said he wouldn't touch anything from Bolton but to call him again in a week.  :scream: Well he can bloody well & *+# off with that attitude.
Third I phoned today. He's not in till Tuesday but Pam's away till Wednesday. So he's asked me to call Wednesday to make sure he's in the shop as he usually works away from the shop on industrial machines.

Meanwhile my depression kicked in last night and was close to tears over this and other stuff. Sigh.  :faints:

Bill

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »
An update on this.
Took the machine to a mechanic. Explained what I'd done and his answer was that as it was self inflicted, guarantee wouldn't cover it. Well duh! His advice was to either pull the 2 threads up and cut manually and forget the auto cutter or leave it in for a service which would be very expensive given how much the parts were. Neither appealed to me.
Another mechanic phoned a day later and said that brother machines in his business were notorious for thread problems. It relates to the plastic bobbin case cover but that the machine should still work fine without the cutter brush. I could try a new bobbin case which could be the problem if the needle had hit it. No evidence of that as far as I can see. His also said a service could sort it for £45.

Sew, what to do.
New cutter blade ordered. £4. New bobbin case ordered. £15.
Both fitted. No change. Argh.
Previously fitted new brush was taken out and all the sticky residue wiped off.
You'll never guess what.
My machine is running perfectly again  :faints: :faints: :faints:
One little flippin brush.  :rant: