The Sewing Place

A gathered cuff

Diane

A gathered cuff
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »
I’m in the midst of making a top and the sleeves have a gathered cuff & the same at the bottom, now the fabric I’m using is fraying slightly and I don’t want the seams to look messy. On the front/back I’ve done french seams but I’m not sure if i can do this with a gather. Any suggestions please
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

b15erk

Re: A gathered cuff
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »
Could you try a lapped seam Diane?  Just folding the bottom seam up and around the trimmed top seam?

Sorry, I'm rubbish at explaining, but I've done it many times on little girl dresses.

On my Mary Poppins dress I just overlocked the seams together, but that is just costume.

Lovely pattern btw...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Diane

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:51:29 AM »
@b15erk thanks for that, I’ve never heard of a lapped seam but I’ll look on YouTube and see how to do it
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »
Hi Diane, I had a similar problem. I recently made an overdress from a burnout fabric that frayed if you so much as looked at it the wrong way.  :rant:

The skirt part seemed to be metres of gathering and the only way I could cope with the endless fraying was to hem the bodice and the top edge of the fabric about to be gathered before I gathered it. Not sure I've made much sense... (what's new!!) but basically all of my raw edges were concealled before I attached the gathers.

My fabric was very thin so it didn't add to the bulk.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

I agree it's a lovely blouse pattern.  :)

Diane

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
Thanks @Lemon Syllabub I just had a thought, i have my overlocker so i could use this on the raw edges that I can’t french seam, it suddenly came to me when you said overdress  :faints:

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 09:45:31 AM »
@Lemon Syllabub  what a clever idea to hem the fraying edges before attaching skirt to bodice. I  would never have thought of that but I'm still learning.
Still learning

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »
I'm still learning.

Me too. Most of the time I think I just wing it, making it up as I go!
I think if I had a sewing teacher watching over my shoulder they would be muttering disapprovingly and reaching for the gin  :rolleyes:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 10:02:54 AM »
@Diane I was going to suggest overlocking - I think it tidies all sorts of things up nicely.

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 14:53:10 PM »
Overlocking finishes a gathered set-in sleeve beautifully, I always think. It's one of those things that I find very satisfying, after sewing Laura Ashley lookalikes back in the day and having very messy armscye seams. It would tidy up the gathered cuffs a treat!
Very nice blouse pattern.

Diane

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
Oh gosh why did i pick something with flipping ruffles, think I’m going to have a tantrum in a minute  :rant:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 16:24:46 PM »
Adjusting your diff feed on your overlocker will gather.  You’d probably have to do a test to see how much fabric you would need to gather to a certain number of inches or cms.

Diane

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 20:49:40 PM »
I completely forgot that you can gather on the overlocker, not used it for that before. I done two rows of long stitches on the sewing machine and then tried to draw them up, i seem to be making a pigs ear of it  :rolleyes: Anyway two hours later and i have one sleeve done, will do the other one tomorrow using the same method otherwise they may look different. I'm quite pleased as to how it looks so disaster has been averted  :facepalm:.