The Sewing Place

Itch to Stitch Recoleta dress

dolcevita

Itch to Stitch Recoleta dress
« on: May 26, 2021, 21:28:08 PM »
I finished this last week, but haven't got around to posting it after the trauma of my Itch to Stitch chai shirt that I had such great hopes for. Anyhow, I'm pleased with this dress and although the fabric is much more obviously floral than I would normally choose, I liked the freshness of the blues in it.

The pattern isn't for a lined dress, and although it is intended as a summer dress, I think things often look and feel better with a lining. I used just a plain navy viscose. The main fabric is a beautiful quality cotton print that I bought in a local fabric shop, Hansons, in Sturminster Newton. It was pricey for a cotton, but it feels as though it has a high thread count and is somewhere between a poplin and a lawn.

The pattern is great - very good instructions if you need them and the copyshop version is very clearly and well drafted. I will make another of these in some plain linen that I have in my stash.

Here's the front view:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

And here's the inside with the lining added. I attached the lining around the neckline and the sleeves, hand sewing around the armscyes. The skirt is only attached at the waist; I don't put French tacks at the bottom of the skirt as I find they make ironing tricky.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

Re: Itch to Stitch Recoleta dress
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 21:59:29 PM »
Nice and summery....if we get one! 
What was wrong with the other pattern?

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 22:40:09 PM »
That's lovely, well sewn.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 22:41:56 PM »
Nice and summery....if we get one! 
What was wrong with the other pattern?

Poofy sleeves and a strange neckline. I'll put some detail up tomorrow as it's very deceptive. I hate poofy sleeves. Even more than I hate home dec sewing. Bleurgh.

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 23:03:37 PM »
Super dress @dolcevita - to your usual high standard :sew: :thumbsup:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 06:25:04 AM »
Nice job @dolcevita . I like a lined dress too and they are surprisingly comfortable in a range of temperatures as well as hanging better and avoiding see-through.  Does this mean you are expecting a summer?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 06:55:28 AM »
Pretty dress,  I love the neckline and the fabric. Beautiful job and perfect for a warm summer day.
Still learning

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 07:50:48 AM »
Very nice dress. I love the fabric. The last (and first) time I was at Hanson’s, it appeared like they were closing down.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »
Lovely dress. I love the feel of good quality cotton and I love the idea of a lined dress. (I'm going to put that on my ever growing challenge list.) :thumbsup:

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »
Aha! I've been keeping an eye on that one @dolcevita  - the neckline is lovely.  Yours is beautiful.  I'm another one who lines most things - I just think the clothes hang better and last longer that way.   I have been very tempted to get that pattern..... :thinking:  but I do already have about a hundred patterns sitting waiting to be cut out....

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »
That looks better than the pattern photograph @dolcevita  <3.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »
Lovely dress! I'm becoming a big fan of an empire waistline, they're both comfortable and flattering.

High quality cottons are great fabrics to sew with and wear, and the lining will add body and drape. Now all we need is better weather.

dolcevita

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
Very nice dress. I love the fabric. The last (and first) time I was at Hanson’s, it appeared like they were closing down.

Hansons were gping to close but they were taken over. Their fabrics are pricey in general but of excellent quality so I do shop there as I think bricks and mortar shops need all the support that they can get.

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 20:54:33 PM »
Lovely dress beautifully sewn  :thumbsup:

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 13:32:56 PM »
That's very nice. can't remember the last time I saw a lined dress!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !