The Sewing Place

Jones deluxe 1970 ish machine motor smokes

Lilian

Jones deluxe 1970 ish machine motor smokes
« on: May 28, 2021, 22:26:17 PM »
I need some advice on this machine, it runs but I had a puff of smoke from the motor.  I turned it off as it needs looking at.  If the brushes are worn out could that cause a puff of smoke?
Willing but not always able :)

Mr Twingo

Re: Jones deluxe 1970 ish machine motor smokes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 23:19:18 PM »
Have a look here at possible causes. Worn brushes is one of the reasons.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 06:36:35 AM »
Oooooh! @Mr Twingo great article! I'll need to print that one for my reference notebook.

But there's one thing that wasn't mentioned, an old wall outlet that is worn out allowing the plug to slip in and out of the socket easily and a bit loosely. When this is an issue appliances can seem to work fine for quite some time and then suddenly the electricity arcs between the two poles and Boom! Death or damage to the appliance.

A friend blew out two hair dryers before she mentioned it to me and I explained.

This time is likely the motor, but it would be a shame to replace anything and have the outlet be the issue.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:49:49 AM »
Oooooh! @Mr Twingo
…an old wall outlet that is worn out allowing the plug to slip in and out of the socket easily and a bit loosely. When this is an issue appliances can seem to work fine for quite some time and then suddenly the electricity arcs between the two poles and Boom! Death or damage to the appliance.

Good point! Whether arcing occurs will depend on the design of the plug + socket + integrated safety features used in a particular country.

Explanatory videos:
Tom Scott: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q
Electroboom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqMLqHwqpo

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
Thanks @Mr Twingo  when I removes the casing for the motor there was some black sooty deposit. I am hoping it is the brushes and that I can fix it myself. The machine was running so it's not given up  :)
Willing but not always able :)