The Sewing Place

Refashion & Upcycle competition - 1-30 June 2021

sewminds

Re: Refashion & Upcycle competition - 1-30 June 2021
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »
I think I'd like to join in with this one.
I do have a knit test on the go and about to start some teeny slippers too, test wise(with a long way off finish date), but I'd love to join in and make something. No idea what but it will get me thunkin.  :thinking:
Sew it needs juice!

Diane

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »
Well I’ve chopped up all my old clothes that i no longer needed and have saved as much of the fabric as possible. Here is a picture of all what’s available to me to use to recycle in to another garment, i might not use all of it and I have an idea what I’m going to try and make, whether it looks any good is another matter.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

mudcat

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 16:52:29 PM »
@realale PR had a denim theme as part of their year Sewing Bee contest if you need some ideas. Some were quite clever while others not so much. Denim Gallery

@Diane what was this?  I really like the big flowers.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 16:58:12 PM by mudcat »

Diane

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 17:13:18 PM »
@mudcat  That is a skirt, when it came to chopping it up I couldn’t do it so it’s now been hung back up in the wardrobe in the hope i can lose some weight for it to fit
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

realale

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 12:45:14 PM »
Thank you @mudcat about PR, I had seen it but had forgotten about it.

I actually do quite a bit of upcycling denim and have done several waistcoats and two hooded coats as well as bags and rugs.  I did see a fantastic reupholstered chair which gave me ideas for the nano second I considered doing one as well!!

I have a pinterest board full of denim ideas (245 pins!!) most of which I will never try but the inspiration is there!!  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Esme866

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 21:20:48 PM »
@realale That chair is amazing! What a wonderful way to contemporize a stodgy old chair.

mudcat

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 23:34:30 PM »
That chair is fantastic.  What a great idea.

realale

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »
 Realale's Refashion and Upcycle Entry

The original source was a pile of old jeans.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
These are either my old jeans or I scrounge them off the pub customers!! The pockets on this one are from our ex barman who gifted me his jeans long after he'd left our employ!  :D
I've made several of these waistcoats as they have become my 'uniform' at the pub. The original waistcoat pattern was Butterick 6714 which is so old I can't even begin to remember where I first got it. The pattern has been adapted and fitted to me so I now just pull out my copy (on some purple wrapping paper!!) and use that.
I use a base fabric of anything fairly light that I can find and cut out the waistcoat in that. Then I embroider some denim and arrange them on the waistcoat base until I find a pleasing arrangement. I attach the denim shapes, sew them down and add contrast topstitching where I think it would enhance it. The lining is just a navy taffeta type fabric that has been hanging around for years.
And the finished item.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 18:47:05 PM by Iminei »

realale

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 10:51:40 AM »
Realale's entry more pictures
And this is me wearing it at the pub last night!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Incidentally, White Rabbit Brewery is the name of our brewery and the picture of the white rabbit drinking was drawn by my sister. I fiddled with the drawing in Paint and then put it into my Janome digitizer to make the embroidery. It took me weeks as I'm not a natural digitizer!! I used that embroidery on the waistcoat I made my husband so it was ready to go for this one!  :D

Oh and the red lion is because our pub is called the Red Lion  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 18:44:21 PM by Iminei »

Elnnina

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 11:37:05 AM »
Wow Realale you have been busy, what a wonderful waistcoat you now have and so appropriate for what you do.  I love the embroidery and I have also noticed just how neat your stitching is on the back where you have joined the pieces together.

Flobear

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 12:55:03 PM »
I have gone down a different route from the one originally intended. Spotted a summery dress in colours I love in charity shop window. Viscose, so nice and drapey. And creasy  :[  It was size 6 petite so maybe it would just go round one of my legs!!

Decided to make a sleeveless loose-ish summer shirt so have unpicked everything. Pattern-matching across front and back but not at sides, nowhere near enough fabric. In fact not enough fabric full stop. Quart pattern, pint quantity of fabric. Have now ordered something to go with it, who knows if it will arrive in time? The soonest will be Monday so that gives me 3 days - which should be plenty of time.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 16:21:46 PM »
Incidentally, White Rabbit Brewery is the name of our brewery and the picture of the white rabbit drinking was drawn by my sister. I fiddled with the drawing in Paint and then put it into my Janome digitizer to make the embroidery. It took me weeks as I'm not a natural digitizer!!

Please Please Please tell me, show me how you did that!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2021, 16:29:23 PM »
OK @Iminei here goes:
I photographed my sister's drawing and saved it to my computer. From there I went into paint and drew round the drawing with a black line and drew everything I wanted again in black. I erased everything I didn't want eg background colour outside the rabbit etc & I then saved the new picture as a jpeg. (This took ages by the way!!)
I opened my Janome digitizer and opted to import image and then followed the on screen instructions to change it into an embroidery. It wasn't an instant process and I think took 3 or 4 goes to get what I wanted, going back to the draw image in paint and changing it as necessary etc.
As I say this doesn't come easy to me and there are probably easier ways to do it but I got it to work for me and that's all that matters!!  :thumbsup:
Hope that helps  :P

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2021, 17:04:51 PM »
I have a Brother embroidery machine AKA Elvistoo and a Janome Atelier 7 AKA The Splurgess which has a stitch composer !!??!! No idea what that does but it has the capacity

Elvistoo has a digitising element but I think the PES Plus (AKA Lite) needs to be used and as its very lite I dont know if it could but Im definitely Loooooooooving the Rabbit! Bravo!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2021, 22:34:44 PM »
@Iminei I suspect your stitch composer is like my Pfaff which lets you store a sequence.  So you might do 3 stars, a heart, then 3 stars (or whatever stitches you have) you give it a name and then you can call it up and repeat it whenever you want. Or even a series of letters, like a name.
Ooh! Looked at google.  You can do more. You can save a sequence of individual stitches, in any direction.  Like moving from dot to dot on paper. The limit is your stitch length. Effectively drawing. I think I might want one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:47:25 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m