The Sewing Place

Quilt template rulers

Sara-S

Quilt template rulers
« on: May 31, 2021, 00:30:36 AM »
I just got a set of these. I set a good part of today practicing with them, on some scraps of pre-quilted fabric. I’m beginning to get the feel for them

Has anyone else used these? If so, I would welcome any tips or opinions.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Acorn

Re: Quilt template rulers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
Me too!  I got a set for Christmas, then had to get a foot to go with them, but since then I haven't done anything other than look at them now and then.  Tips and ideas would be very welcome!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

twopence

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »
Have a look at Angela Walters utube channel as she has some videos on using rulers. I have some (including some of Angela’s) but have only played on practice pieces. I find it can be hard to keep the rules against the foot but it will no doubt come with practice.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »
Are they the Westalee rulers @Sara-S ?

I did a three day ruler work course with Angie Atwood just before lockdown, learnt loads and had a wonderful time.

I don’t have time to do as much as I would like but really enjoy it you can achieve some great designs with very simple shapes.

I find when I start a new project I have to practice for half an hour to get back into the flow.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 12:31:23 PM »
They are not from Westalee, but are that type of thing.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 12:46:30 PM »
You do need a good flat surface for ruler work, either a Perspex extension table or having your machine sunk flush with your work surface.

If possible put some sort of grip tape on the underside of the rulers and play around with the height of your foot  Your quilt sandwich should slide easily.

There are videos on YouTube to give you a start.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 13:14:40 PM »
I do have an extension table.  It didn’t take long to realize that I needed to use it. Fortunately, the set I bought came with plenty of no-slip dots. The height was fine & my fabric (pre-quilted stuff) moved with ease. 
I can see that it takes practice to stay within the grooves of the templates.

Ann

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 13:28:57 PM »
Anglea Walters is great and I have watched her videos. Another person I like is Leah Day. Here is a blog post she did on using rulers.

I am finding practice is the key element to quilting. I'm waiting for a plexi-glass insert for my Juki as it is too high up on the sewing cabinet. I don't relax or have the best control over the rulers.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 16:04:10 PM »
I've done one quilt using a curved ruler.  As with FMQ I find that I prefer, and stitch much better, travelling backwards or right to left.
One issue I had was that the IDT foot on the Pfaff QE4 came down on the ruler so i couldn't use the ruler behind the foot.  I started the quilting on my Pfaff Ambition and didn't have the problem but changed my machine for  QE4 half way through the quilt.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 20:37:13 PM »
Getting the feel for these, but the biggest issue is the foot. The on that came with the set works fine with my machine. But it is a nuisance to put onto the machine.

I bought another one ( a set of changeable feet) that was supposedly compatible with my machine, and easier to put on. It is indeed easier, but sits so close to the surface of the machine that I can barely move the fabric.  Of course, I adjusted the presser foot tension, but that didn't help at all. So I will be returning these.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 19:41:32 PM by Sara-S »

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 21:54:07 PM »
Update on my last post- I contacted the vendor about the set of feet. It turns out, you can adjust the height rather easily, so I can, in fact use them. 

But the instructions that come with it do not mention this at all, thus my confusion. They sent me a link to a How-To video that told me what to do. Would have been nice to have that info sooner, but at least I have it now.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 23:02:20 PM by Sara-S »

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 19:50:32 PM »
I've been working with them for a bit now & am learning a few things;
1)Thread tension may differ a lot, from what you need with other feet.  Make a "quilt sandwich" from some scrap & test before you start on your quilt. (My failure to do this resulted in quite a bit of unpicking)
2)Quilting gloves help a great deal.
3)Run stitches at a high speed, but move the template slowly, to keep the stitches relatively small.  Moving too fast gives big, sloppy stitches that just look like temporary basting.
4) I'm finding it enjoyable, but tiring. When you get tired, take a break. I expect that my current project will take me a week or 2 to finish, but I am in no hurry.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 14:11:50 PM by Sara-S »