The Sewing Place

Pfaff Select 3.00 advice please

Ivydene

Pfaff Select 3.00 advice please
« on: May 31, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
I have the opportunity to obtain this machine. It was purchased new in 2009 and has not been used for a few years. It’s had one owner and as used for a few years for FMQ. I’m told it is working.
I’ve been looking for a mechanical Pfaff with IDT for a few years and have a Pfaff dealer nearby where I can take it for a service.
I am dressmaking rather than quilting so I think the size should be OK.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it might be a good machine?
Thanks in advance.

toileandtrouble

Re: Pfaff Select 3.00 advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »
If it is in good condition it will be a good machine for you.  Can you try it out before you  buy? Test all the stitches, raise and lower the feed dogs etc.  If you can see the owner, that would tell you a lot. Why are they selling?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 11:17:16 AM »
I’m a Pfaff girl... so yes I would buy it.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
I've had a Select 2 and a 4 @Ivydene .  Highly recommended sturdy machines and will go on for ever in my view.  If you have not been spoiled by computerised machine you will love it, otherwise might take a bit getting used to, but when you have, you won't to part with it.  The Select 3 also has IDT an added bonus.   

The only reason I sold in the end was to fund my latest purchase, but I called it my back up machine if the other fancy models went wonky.  I'd sit down with it and after five or ten minutes doing things differently I fell in love all over again. <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ivydene

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 14:30:31 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

@toileandtrouble  yes, I will be seeing the owner and will ask that she demonstrates it for me if she can. Don’t think I will be able to have a go under current circumstances. She has moved on to other crafts now.

@Efemera & @Gernella  My mum had a 122E back in the late 70s, one of the first with IDT I think and it came to me after she died in the early 80’s. I used it occasionally and really liked it but family life got in the way and it spent 15 years in the loft. By the time I got it out again it was seized solid and the service engineer who looked at it said the plastic components had deteriorated and it wasn’t repairable. I was just a bit sad :'(   I bought a Toyota machine shortly after and it’s ok and then 3 or 4 years ago I bought a Janome QXL605. That is just more complicated than I need. I’ve been thinking about getting another Pfaff and this one has come up.

With a bit of practice I will be fine. I don’t need needle threaders, needle up/down thingies etc. I learnt the old school way  :D

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 15:45:07 PM »
Shame about the needle threader @Ivydene , the Select 4 had one, and to be honest I could thread the needle first time, unlike the Expression 2 which I gave up on. Probably my eyes really.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 20:24:36 PM »
With a bit of practice I will be fine. I don’t need needle threaders, needle up/down thingies etc. I learnt the old school way  :D

Feel the same way @Ivydene  :)
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72