The Sewing Place

holes in my batting - lots of them :(

duffle

holes in my batting - lots of them :(
« on: June 01, 2017, 20:57:14 PM »
I've just finished skinning a section of a quilt I have been procrastinating over for the last 4 years, I hated the quilting and then the cat got sick on top of it so i just put it away and forgot about it. So I skinned the quilting and it went well, there wasn't that much. Then I washed the top and batting, threw out the backing as I really didn't like it at all.

And now I have just taken it out of the wash and the batting has literally hundreds of holes in it big and small. It was heirloom 80/20. has this happened to anybody else, there are holes where there was no quilting or even pins. I feel like throwing out the top and crying!! 

rubywishes

Re: holes in my batting - lots of them :(
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 21:08:19 PM »
Oh Duffle, I've never had this happen to me so I can't give any advice but I am so sorry for you.  :'( How did you wash the batting?  I guess the only thing to do is throw the batting away and start afresh.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 21:29:45 PM »
Duffel what an awful thing to happen!

I can only offer sympathy and

:toast:
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 21:32:28 PM »
Oh what an awful thing to happen.  It wouldn't be clothes moths would it?   :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Sakar

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 05:51:30 AM »
Oh Duffle, I've never had this happen to me either,  so I can't give any advice  :( but I feel very sorry for you!!! I agree with ruby, throw the batting away and start with a new one. After such a long time this top and also you have earned a good batting to finish it..

duffle

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
thanks everyone! feeling a lot brighter about it this morning, wine is the bomb ;) going to order some new batting and get on with it :)

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it Duffle   :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D