The Sewing Place

Cats!

Bill

Cats!
« on: June 03, 2021, 09:48:07 AM »
I hate the furry little rotbags, but Pam's auntie loves 'em. Sooo, Pam's asked me to make her (auntie) a bed runner as a thank you for all she's done for her.
So here it is...so far. Pam's picking up fabric for the border today. Some kind of bright plain pink I think and the wadding arrives tomorrow. 2oz weight. I think the backing will be the same plain pink. Top stitching will be a ridiculously bright and loud pink too.
She likes her pink.
Hopefully a new bobbin case arriving sat will solve my machine stitching woes and a new cutter blade arriving Mon will fix the auto cutter woes.
Here's to hoping.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Iminei

Re: Cats!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 09:52:27 AM »
Again, I must say, Nice points!!!
Like the fabric too!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »
Are those dog paws I see temptingly pointing to the cat fabric?  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
Again, I must say, Nice points!!!
Like the fabric too!
Thanks imi :)
The points are all out by about a mm.  >:)

Bill

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
Are those dog paws I see temptingly pointing to the cat fabric?  0_0

They are indeed. They belong to this little madam...

realale

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »
Lovely!! She looks strokeable!!
I'd love another dog but lifestyle doesn't allow it at the moment. I live through the dogs brought into the pub - there are some right characters. We have a sign that says Dogs Welcome, Owners Tolerated!!  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 11:34:10 AM »
Wadding arrived yesterday and Pam picked up the backing. Spray adhesive used instead of pins. I swear I'm going to get brain cancer from that stuff. Back to safety pins for me thanks :)

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »
It looks great! I never used to be a cat person - grew up with dogs, love dogs and was brought up by my parents to ‘hate cats’. A few years ago we desperately wanted a pet but our long hours are not fair on a dog. My husband had cats and dogs growing up and had always wanted a Russian Blue cat - so I agreed not expecting to be particularly bothered...

Oh I love him! He is such a character and this breed are well known for having quite dog-like tendencies which I can completely see. I don’t think I will ever be a a cat lover in general but a lover of ‘this cat’ (whichever one we end up having at any one time).

One day, when my work routines allow it I will have a dog... :loveit:  :woof:

Bill

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 22:03:06 PM »
The plain pink didn't materialize. Pam came back with white stars on pink instead. Her aunt Kelly can be 'loud' in her tastes.
My binding came up short by about an inch. Sheesh. I made some more, unpicked my previously sewn binding, attached the new extension and re-stitched it to fit. My corners aren't as neat as I'd have liked and I missed my 'stitch in a ditch' a couple times (OK, more than a couple times  :\) but overall I'm fairly happy with the result.
All it needs now is a wash and an iron. Some of the spray glue is showing through. If that doesn't come out in the wash I'll be miffed.

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 06:54:44 AM »
I love the binding! I think it looks better than a plain would have done as it is the same colour scheme as the pink cat fabric. This also isn’t loud at all compared to what I love sometimes hehe

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »
Well done, you'll have a happy aunt.
Still learning

charley

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 20:37:41 PM »
I really like the bed runner you made @Wayfarer, I am sure the recipient will be happy. You did a great job.

Bill

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 10:57:54 AM »
Finished it properly Monday night (Tuesday morning 02.30  :scream:)
I added a wrap thingy Bob to keep it nicely rolled and embroidered "For*Kelly*Love*Pam" with little love hearts in the spaces. 2 buttons on straps to fasten it. First time using a botton hole stitch.
Pam handed it over to Kelly on Tuesday after we'd had brekky at our friends cafe.
Kelly was almost in tears and muggins here was given a big squishy hug  :D
She's asked me to make her a picnic blanket!
And our friend at the cafe has asked me to make cushion covers for her outdoor chairs! Pam showed her the quilt I made for mum.
Seems I'm now taking orders  :laughing: They don't know what they've let themselves in for!

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »
Errrrm @Wayfarer  I do hope youre not going to be making free stuff for all and Sundry...

Free is everybody's favourite price and these things cost money.
You need to, at the very least if you are willing to give your time and effort for nothing, charge (properly) for the materials.

I think you might then find out who really wants one.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bill

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 11:18:51 AM »
No no no no no. They've each said they'll pay me for my efforts. Kelly's taking me out to go pick her fabrics when I've done the cushion covers and I 'think' Angie (cafe owner) will offer to pay for my time. I do this for fun and relaxation ('cept when the machine is causing me grief!) so it's no problem for me to do it for free.
I know for a fact I'm not good enough to do it professionally so charging for it seems a bit odd. For me anyway :)